Author Topic: Racing Green 89 Mini  (Read 17124 times)

Online MiniDave

Re: Racing Green 89 Mini
« Reply #325 on: April 20, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
Pro-Tech......from Huddersfield.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Online MiniDave

« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »
Today I got the left side torn down, it was in much better shape than the right side. the needle bearings were somewhat rusty but all there, the shaft was worn but again, not like the other side - but it was definitely due to be rebuilt. The left side was also the one with the leaking wheel cylinder so it will be nice to get that all sorted too. The right side had ball bearings in the hub, the left side has roller bearings, they look in good nick so I'll just clean and repack them. I put new roller bearings in the right side while I was at it so both sides will match now.

The right side is all done, I'll take the left side parts up to school tomorrow and bead blast them then bring them home to do the final clean and paint - unless it's raining, in which case I'll do it all at school where we have a paint booth. I should be able to put it all together again on Sunday, hopefully early enough in the day to drive it up to school and do an alignment too.

Now that I've done one it's pretty easy to get them apart - the trick is to remove the needle bearing first, then drive the bushing and the plastic sleeve out the larger end...easy peasy. Installation is the reverse, drive the bushing in from the outside, turn it over and install the plastic sleeve and tap the needle bearing in.

A few pics then..... a before shot of the left side for comparison.....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:49:42 PM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Online MiniDave

« Reply #327 on: April 23, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
Today I finished assembling the left side, I had already done the clean up and paintwork. Disassembly is a lot easier and faster when you know how it's all supposed to go.....I found that if you bear down a little - not hard - on the end of the reamer it will walk itself right thru the bushing as the threaded bushing on the other end will hold still and the reamer will "thread" thru the bushing. It's easier than my description.....suffice to say it works easily and well. I like using the 20 ton press to push the bushings and bearings into place, turns out I have a tool that fits the bushes perfectly and has a shoulder to push them in with. I use it both to remove and install them.....

I installed the completed assembly in the car partway, but the damn inner shaft seal keeps coming off the end of the hub so I'm going to have to remove it one more time....odd, the other side went together so easily but this is my third try on the left, for the same issue.

I also found that you can install the handbrake quadrants two different ways, one of which won't allow you to get the cable end to reach the arm it hooks onto......we learn, we grow.  ::)

I have to break off for a bit to meet the guy with the 71 Cooper S up a school so we can look at where his suspension leak is coming from so we can order parts.

Yesterday I also went out to my south property to retrieve the ZTR so I can get it ready for the summer, charge the battery, air up the tires and so on......the grass out there is already more than a foot tall so I have to get after it. The battery was dead and it had a flat, so I had to use the come along to drag it up onto the trailer, what a PITA! But I'd rather do it now on a 60* day than when it gets hot and humid in a few weeks.

Edit: Took a good look at the 71 Cooper S for cornholio, but CSS, sorry.....found the leak tho.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:00:30 PM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Online MiniDave

« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
Left side in now, all I have left to do is bleed the brakes, final adjustment on the brake shoes, reinstall the gas tank and take it up to school and align it.

I don't know when I can get on the alignment machine, but it will have to be before Sat - and I'd like to drive it a few days just to be sure I haven't missed anything before I take it on a 200 miles run.

Don came over for a bit yesterday in the Pup, and when he went to leave his right front tire was flat! I aired it up but we couldn't find any nails, and there was nothing coming out of the valve stem - still a mystery as this morning it hadn't gone down a pound since we filled it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:01:30 PM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline MPlayle

« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2017, 12:32:02 PM »
When you installed the adjustable brackets in the rear, are they mounted with bolts into captive nuts in the subframe?

I have the same brackets for going on the Moke when I get to putting everything on the new body.

Online MiniDave

« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »
Yes, the bolts go right into the same spots....but be aware that they usually are rusted in there pretty bad so use some penetrant.....and you might need to use some heat on them, especially the ones that go horizontally - acetylene works best.

Edit: Never mind, I forgot you'll be working with a new shell, so they'll bolt right in.

Which ones did you get? Having worked with all three styles I like the ones MiniSport sells best, MiniSpares version second best and Huddersfield's the least.

KAD and MiniSport are virtually identical in design (I wonder where MSport got the idea?  ::) ) but the KAD ones are really expensive in comparison. But then I find pretty much everything KAD sells to be really spendy.

Edit II: Looks like our Saturday run to Atchison will be postponed due to weather
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:40:39 PM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline MPlayle

« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »
I got the MiniSport ones.

I will be working with a new shell, but likely the old subframe.  I have not yet decided whether to do all new subframes and had been leaning more to trying to refurbish the existing subframes.

Online MiniDave

« Reply #332 on: April 24, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »
2 of the bolts go into the subframe (the ones from the bottom on the bracket) and two go into the body - those you have to be particularly careful on so that you don't break them off or break the captive nut loose. Doing either means cutting a hole and patching in new metal - not a problem on an old moke body you're going to replace.

If the subs aren't rusted, I'd have them blasted and powder coated.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:42:31 PM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline MPlayle

« Reply #333 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
I'm going to be trying my hand at soda blasting to clean up the 998 engine and may try the same on the subframes when that time comes.

It will be a slight challenge on the subframe removal as that is some of the areas that are patches on patches and where only the barest of the original mounts still exist for the subframe to attach to.

I may have to get creative with the paraffin wicking technique to get thing loose.  (Along with getting some form of torch.)

Online MiniDave

« Reply #334 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »
Well tonight I got everything back together, the brakes are bled, gas tank is back in, just one less puzzle to solve....I can't seem to get the hand brake cable hooked up on the right side, the left went in just fine, but the right seems to be about 1/2" short. I tried backing off the adjustment under the handle and that got me 5 or so clicks as I raise the handle, but it doesn't seem to help. I thought I might have the cable quadrant on wrong, but it turns out they do only go on one way after all......

I've decided to let it sit for tonight and I'll take a fresh look tomorrow. I know the cable isn't caught or wrapped around anything....it came out of there, it should go back in! 
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Online MiniDave

« Reply #335 on: May 13, 2017, 05:51:31 PM »
Turns out I had to back the cable adjustment off quite a bit to get both sides to hook up, now that I have a few miles on it and the brake shoes are bedded in a bit I might take it back up a bit, but the brakes work well and I'm not getting any drag so I'm putting it down to thicker brake linings or sumthin.

Today was my last official chance to use the shop, as next week is my last week at school, Thursday I turn in my credentials and keys so I took advantage to toss the Racing Green back on the alignment rack. The problem I've been having is on the rear, I can get everything into spec, but when I tighten the serrated nut the end of the shaft walks around as those serrations bite into the flat it tightens against, and once I get it tight it's all out of whack again. So. Today I took a new regular nut and a hardened flat washer up, got everything into spec again and tightened the nut. Perfect!

Driving the car home I could definitely feel the difference, it feels planted and solid now. Finally!

I made some marks to see if the end moves but so far so good, if it does move I know exactly where to set it back to, and I'll tack weld the washer so that it can't move. Actually, I might do that anyway......
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT