Racing Green 89 Mini

Started by MiniDave, August 19, 2016, 01:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I think the problem with the handling is the rear bushings in the trailing arms, so I ordered a set and borrowed Dan's reamer to size them properly when they get here.

I also took a look at my rear lights as others said they were dim - and no wonder - they were coated with crud. The gaskets were so dried out and shrunk they weren't sealing anything. Anyone have a spare pair, MiniSpares is out right now......

I also changed back to my old locking gas cap - I wondered why I was going thru the first half of the tank so quickly - I completely forgot I don't need a vented gas cap as the tank itself is vented..... :-[
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

It's funny that your steering geometry seems to have changed, mine seems to be doing the same.  There's been a slight vibration at about 60 mph and it continues through to 85/90mph, and the steering wheel is no longer perfectly 'straight', but cocked a tad (about 1 o'clock) to the right of centered.  I might increase the LH caster angle slightly and see if it straightens out.

As I'm still on the 145/70/12 winter tires, I'll have the summer rubber re-balanced before I do the seasonal switch.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

On our recent drive in Texas I mentioned that the handling was a little weird - nothing scary but it seemed like it tried to oversteer into higher speed turns, then catch itself and hold on.

Today I pulled the right rear trailing arm and found some of the roller bearings missing - I think I found the source of the nervous back end!

So I bought some repair kits and borrowed Dan's reamer setup on the way back from Texas and have started the fix up, in two weeks I have a run I want to do - a local group is doing an "A Sereis Run", inviting anything that was originally powered by an A series engine......we have the usual Sprites/Midgets, a Morris Minor or two, two Lotus 7's (well, one is a Caterham) and several Minis coming that I know about - should be fun. We're starting at Victoria British parts and running the back roads to Atchison, Ks (Home of Amelia Earhart) one of our club members is from there and has volunteered to lead us on a tour of historic sites in the city....should be a fun time and I want to be sure I'm ready for it.

I also found a leaking wheel cylinder on the left rear so it will get all new shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, hoses and so on. It's always sumthin with these cars, isn't it?   ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, it was much worse than I expected.....the rollers had worn thru the side of the cage and into the trailing arm itself. The new cage still fits tightly so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it yet. options include putting the new cage in and calling it good, or taking it up to school and boring the hole out round again and making a sleeve.

The bronze bushing was still in good shape...

I took the parts up to school today and bead blasted everything clean, so it is all ready for paint.

A few pics to show what I'm dealing with.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

If that was not repairable I was going to suggest getting a refurbished trailing arm because I seem to remember Edd China of Wheeler Dealers putting one on a Mini and mentioning the cost was like £20.   But either I didn't remember that correctly, or prices have gone up a lot!   I just checked and MiniSpares offers a reconditioned trailing arm for £54 with a core fee of £55, so that's about $140 plus shipping.   Not exactly cheap.    And then you'd have to decide whether to return the old one for your £55.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

vs $429 + shipping from 7 Ent.........

I'm going to just rebuild this one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 17, 2017, 01:33:06 PM
vs $429 + shipping from 7 Ent.........

How the heck do they and MiniMania stay in business?  Just selling to people who have no knowledge of the Internet?

Quote from: MiniDave on April 17, 2017, 01:33:06 PM
I'm going to just rebuild this one.

Makes sense.  Good luck! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think the majority of their customers aren't aware of the fact they can buy stuff straight from the same places MiniMania and 7Ent get their stuff?

But then I have Mini owners at our local Mini events come up and say "there's a Mini forum"?

I mean.....really? The day after I bought my '03 JCW I went to Google and found the forum, that weekend I went to my first local club event where I met Don Ipock, who also had just bought his JCW.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So, I got the first one done tonight, Dan's reamer worked a treat once I figured out how to use it. Overnight I'll let all the paint dry on the backing plates and other little parts, then put everything back together tomorrow night after school.

For those who are going to give me grief for painting the control arms silver - it's what I had on hand. I like how it looks actually......the brake backing plates are black and the drums will be silver too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I kind of like the bare metal look.

MPlayle

MiniDave

It's a lot of work, but the bead blaster really does a nice job on cast iron parts like this, but these are a bitch to prep......when you go to wash all the grit off you find that it's a hollow casting and the solvent tends to pool up inside and it's hard to get it all out.....I used a lot of air, blowing solvent out of the insides of this thing.

I'm surprised just how rusted the inner shaft was, almost like it sat in salt water for a while. Either that or water gets trapped inside and cant get out again - but the emergency brake quadrant pin was rusted just like that shaft on the inside.

Weird too that the bushing didn't look worn at all, but the shaft was a rusted pitted mess.....pic is after I cleaned it up on the wire brush. Stainless steel shafts would make a lot of sense here......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

wow that was really worn out I think I'd just press the new bearing in with a little epoxy in the low/worn spot of the arm to help support the outer race and call it good. The metal look of the paint is good no grief here. I wonder if stainless could be made strong enough?  Although now that you own it and it will get proper greasing it shouldn't be a problem again.

My old mini uses a bushing in both ends of the arm I wonder why they went to a bearing on one side?

MiniDave

Good question....it's interesting to me that the bushing is on the outside and the needle bearing on the inside too, seems like the outer one would have more stress on it. Plus too and also, just like in the front suspension the shafts that ride on those needle bearings don't turn very far - only a few degrees -  so all the pressure and wear is only on one side of the bearing.

I thought about adding some JB weld on the side that had the wear, but decided just to press it in and call it good - the bearing fit tightly so I think it's supported well enough.

And you're right, it will be lubed properly and won't be driven under water!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I am thinking that the bearing is on the inside because that is the side that the suspension pressure is on mostly.

MiniDave

I agree, it just seems to me like the outer would carry more load, dunno why....most wheel bearing setups have the larger bearing on the inside too.

today I got the backing plates reloaded with new wheel cylinders and shoes - however I'm disappointed in my circlip tool, didn't work worth crap! All that happened is that as the circlip got spread down the cone it dug into the cone and locked up, and dug a hell of a divot in the cone too. I went back to my old method of installing the circlip and it worked perfectly.

I bolted the backing plate and emergency brake cable bracket on and installed the new brake hose, so this side is ready to go back on the car now.

I had pre-greased the bearing and bushing, but after I got it all together I pumped a bunch of grease into the shaft till it came out the other end, then rotated the shaft to try and make sure the whole thing was coated in a layer of grease - maybe that will keep it from rusting like the other one did. I also put a good coat of grease on the quadrant pivot pin, the part that was inside the training arm looked like the shaft, all rusty and pitted, but the parts that go thru the arm were clean and fine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I guess I'm not alone by pumping grease till it oozes out the other side. Ashame about the circlip tool.  Guess I'll continue the fight without any tool.

BruceK

Speaking of grease and of the circlip tool, do you think a light coating of grease might have helped?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I guess we'll see when I do the other side   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I see Michael has posted Seven's instructions to use the circlip install tool on the MiniSpares thread.  They recommend grease. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, saw that......I was planning to try that on the other side.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

One side done, gotta get going on this as I'll need to get it on the alignment rack before April 29th's A series Run.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

gr8kornholio

What coil-overs you running? 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Pro-Tech......from Huddersfield.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad