Racing Green 89 Mini

Started by MiniDave, August 19, 2016, 01:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I think it's 2".....

PM'd address already.

Dan, you were right! It's didn't get hot - about halfway between the N and H, and when I dropped back to 65 mph it came back to N again, but it was only about 80* today. I think it will need the extra cooling when it really heats up next summer. This rad will work fine for the engine test stand......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That's the same problem I had.  Put in the aluminum rad and that problem went away, even in 90+ temps.  I do have an extra thick rad, so not sure what size yours is, but either way will help.  Only time it creeps between N and H now is sitting in traffic in 90+ temps, but the external fan I stuffed between it and the inner wing kicks in and the temps drop immediately. 

MiniDave

Mine's a 2 core, I think......could need to be cleaned out too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

I don't mean to sound stupid but what is a "play mini exhaust"?  Also my mini has one gauge. That is the speedo. It has one red dummy light for the ignition and that is it. Should consider adding some gauges like a teach, oil pressure, water temp?  Keep in mind I live in Michigan right along the lakeshore of Lake Michigan so hot here is a relative term. We might get 5 days a summer of 90+ temps.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

94touring

Play mini is a brand. 

Oil pressure and water temp are good ideas.

MiniDave

Right, Play Mini make stainless steel exhaust systems that I think sound pretty good, mine just has the box at the back, no resonator - I haven't driven it with the windows up on the highway to see if it drones or is too loud, but so far I like it!

My friend John Styers has one on his car, that's where I first heard one and I really liked it, but they're not common over here.

I agree, temp and oil press gauges are a good idea, but not critical.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Here's a quick vid to show how it sounds.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

94touring

LilDrunkenSmurf

roadhouse

Looks and sounds great. Nice score

Jims5543

Sounds awesome, which I could stumble upon a deal like that, it would force me to sell off the E30.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

After doing a bunch of vin sleuthing and googling, turns out my car is actually a 1990, although it originally came with a 998, not the 1275 A+ that's in it now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Very cool.  Still out romping around in it?

MiniDave

Of course, I buy em to drive em!   ;D

Got caught in a torrential downpour the other day and it was definitely a little squirrelly, so tomorrow after Cars and Coffee I'm headed up to school to balance the wheels and check the alignment. However, the good news is I saw no leaks, and the wipers wiped!

I also need to do something with the carb, it needs a rebuild or sumthin, it runs fine but it's very cold natured, yet seems rich as hell when running and idles at 1500 rpm.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Sunday I took the car up to school and raised it on the lift and I'm happy to report I found no rust on the underside of the car, the sills, floors, boot floor etc are really solid.

I did find a leaking shift rod seal so there was a bit of oil on the bottom of the car. I also found some new stuff - new steering rack, outer CVs and tie rod ends - even the ball joints looked recent if not new.

While it was on the rack I decided to balance the front wheels. it had an intermittent but really strong shimmy in the front and I'm happy to say the balance job seems to have eliminated it. I still have a tiny bit of shake at speed so I may take another run at balancing them but I'm glad that's all it was.

Next up I'll change the radiator out and if I can figure out how to reach the wing nuts that hold the wood dash in I'll change out the instruments that Vikram sent me (thanks again, buddy!) so I won't have to try and do math while I drive. I also will wire in some 12V ports for my Garmin GPS and dash cam, tho I think I need to find a better spot than on the windshield for the cam after re-watching the vid I posted. In that vid it looked like the camera was mounted on a gimbal instead of suction cupped to the glass!

Then I'll be sending off an order of suspension bits and such for winter projects. It's great having access to the school's equipment so I can set up the suspension and such on the Hunter laser alignment machine, wish I had access to a set of scales so I could corner weigh it too.....oh well.

Lastly I'm looking at making a rear sway bar - the car handles well as is (don't they all?) but I really wanted one on Buzz and never made it happen so this time for sure! I already have the Miata bar and bushings, all I have to do is locate it and make some drop links and attaching brackets.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Do you have any instructions or Destructions for the Miata swabar mod? (what years . front or rear? etc) or is this your own buld/
  Has this  been a regular thing for mini people to do?   I think I have both bars still from my miata days (stock)

= for the dash removal.

2 of the brackets will be touched from the glove box opening =  One is By the vent = and Beside the radio opening.
The 3rd worst one is on the steering side outer most bracket.  Have to reach up thru small hole in the lower parcel shelf to access the bracket and wing nuts..  Not fun but accessible.

check your dash too = is there a felt strip around the entire outer edge.  adding felt around the dash REALLY cushions the dash in the shelf openings to eliminate ALOT of rattles and squeaks.

Dont try to just take out the Gauge cluster from the wood dash = its very easy to chip the wood veneer when working around it= removing the whole whole dash is easiest - Speedo cable plugs on with a springy plastic clip end.

MiniDave

Miata sway bar - I've seen one done - my buddy has one on his P'up. It's the Miata front bar, and on his trucklette it's mounted ahead of the axle, vs all the aftermarket Mini ones that are mounted across the rear bar of the rear subframe. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet, but I plan to find a way. When I do I'll post up the details here......I already have the bars, but no end links. On my buddy's, they made the endlinks out of a couple of female threaded heim joints  and a short length of all-thread, attached to the lower shock mount - very simple. It really sticks in the corners and rides nicely too.

As for the dash, mine has an actual box for the glovebox, behind the door. Is it attached to the wood dash? If so I'll have to work around it. I was able to put my fingers on three of the four sets of what feel like wingnuts holding it in.

My plan was to leave the wood together and simply remove the instrument cluster from the back, it's only held in with some phillips head screws.. I need to remove the steering wheel anyway as it's an aftermarket wheel and doesn't have any lugs on the back to cancel the turn signals. I made some for my last car and it was nice having signals that self cancelled instead of finding myself a mile down the road still winking away!   ;D

Thanks for the tips!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Sway bar..................
Some photos of my install.

I had the links laser cut.

Regards
towjoe 77.gif

John Gervais

I don't want to seem negative about these forward-mounted rear sway bars, but what happens when the car is on the ground and the rear wheel comes up over a bump?  Is there clearance or will you risk shearing the brake pipe?

I installed the MSC rear-mounted ½" rear sway bar (the 3/4" bar is adjustable and comes with rose joint drop links).  The metalastic-bushed drop links, located behind the brakes, swing forward between the rubber cone and backplate as the wheel comes up, avoiding potential contact with the brake pipe or emergency brake.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Two questions.....

Joe, does your bar have a dip in the middle to clear the exhaust?

John, since you have a side exhaust, does the bar go up over the exhaust pipe?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I've got a center exhaust - custom-made Maniflow LARGE rear box (normally used in the 2" competition systems) twin-box system made with 1.75" pipe work and internals.  (now available as part number CLST001A)  Yes, I called Maniflow and asked if they could make it for me.

Since these photos were taken, I've changed the rear-most hanging bobbins to Maniflow's heavy-duty mounting bobbins.
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

One of my Minis had a forward mounted rear sway bar installed when I got it.  I removed it during the work I was doing and did not re-install it.  passed it along to the new owner when I sold that Mini.

Its drop links mounted to the shock stud at the wheel hub - between the shock bushing and the nut.  This put them clear of the hard brake line and hand-brake cable.  I did not trust the drop link approach it used - looked like standard eye-bolts.  The eye mounted on the shock stud, the threaded end had: nut, washer, rubber bushing, bar end, rubber bushing, washer and a final nut.  The bar was solid and the ends flattened.  The ends were slightly slotted were the drop link went through.

It did have a dip in the middle for clearing the exhaust.

towjoe

My sway bar has a dip for the exhaust.
The sway bar has been on since 2011 , no adverse affects.
I tend to drive hard , ask Guido.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif