Oil pressure switch?

Started by Dmulder, August 16, 2016, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

Does any one know if there is a part number for the oil pressure switch that I can take to my local auto parts store and get a switch that will work instead of ordering and having one shipped? 
Thanks in advance
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Willie_B

Have them look up a 1970 MG Midget with the 1275.

MiniDave

Pretty much any oil pressure switch will work, they all work the same way - when the pressure drops it grounds the light in the cluster.......every one I've ever seen (with the possible exception of some of the really newer cars) use the same thread size too....1/8" pipe.....but the Sprite idea is a good one, they should be in the data base.

To check the circuit, pull the wire off and touch it to a good ground, the light should go on (key on, of course)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

You know what, I just realized I have a new (factory, English) one in the box I can sell you, PM me.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Something to check about the "locally available" ones is the pressure rating.  With Minis you want something that will trigger the light at about 15 - 20 psi.  The only one on the O'Reilly Auto Parts link that listed its rating was for 3 - 9 psi.  At that low, your engine would be toast by the time the light tells you about it.

MiniDave

I thought they all were in the 3-9 psi range......that's why I used a gauge instead and why I have a spare switch. I know they make an adaptor that lets you run both, but I didn't do that.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I usually like to try and run both when I can.

My understanding may be out-of-date, but I thought the sensor for Minis used to be a 15 psi one from the factory and folks used to consider even that "too late" and would recommend finding one set for 20 psi.

jeff10049

Replaced mine today with a vw one  and just thought I'd add the oe vw was a tapered m10 1.0 close to 1/8 28 bspt. Many of the after market vw ones are 1/8 bspt same as mini or 1/8 27 npt or m10 1.0 straight threads with a sealing washer or maybe even the correct m10 1.0 tapered threads.

All of them would/could work but use caution we looked at three at the parts store and found one that appered to fit a 28 tpi thread gauge and fit my car very well.  The vw guys often just use a npt fitting in the case to add a gauge with no problems so all the thread types are close, but I'd be careful with mis matched threads go easy and see how it feels no since ruining a block. This seems to be true with replacment mini senders as well being npt or bspt or bspp depending on where it was sourced.

Funny thing my oem smiths sender had such poorly made threads they don't line up to 27 28 or 1.0 but was very close to all so I guess any sender I bought would of fit as well as the oem.  I'm really sure the car should be 28 bspt.

MiniDave

Devin, Steve picked up the switch today.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."