The reason HOA's exist crazy neighbor.

Started by jeff10049, July 30, 2016, 11:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Oh I've read them, no mention of that.  I'm gathering together a group of people to get this reversed.  The only board member to vote no is a guy I respect very much and sent out a letter to work together to reverse it.  He's a lawyer and a pretty smart guy, so we have that going for us. 

MiniDave

$1135 a month for two condos???????

Jeez louise

That's why I will never live in a place where someone else can tell me I can't park in my own driveway and charge me money for the privilege.

I think I'm going to move to a small town (like Ramona) where a guy can do as he pleases but the big town is just a short drive away if I need something.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's a lifestyle choice.  The problem is they're hiking prices through the roof to where it stops making sense.  It's not like they will be doing a major renovation and turning it into the Ritz-Carlton.  My one bed condo when I first bought it was $390 a month.  This includes ALL utilities, internet, cable, even insurance for everything but personal possessions.  They even change my air filters for me.   Now that same unit will be closer to $545.  They need to fix elevators in our south building but fell short of getting enough votes for an assessment.  I blame the board for this failure as there was ZERO communication about it.  I didn't know till the vote was over.  Would have cost everyone 1000 bucks to fix the 400k elevators. Payment plans could have been setup to assist those who couldn't afford it.  So instead what they've done is again not communicated or even taken a vote and imposed a 20% increase indefinitely.  This simply is an abuse of power and irresponsible of the board members who will make life hard on the fixed income seniors who reside there as well as make lending even more difficult than it already is. No buyers equals zero dues paid.  It gives current owners and potential buyers a bad feeling for what these board members can do on a whim. 

MiniDave

My friend Don owns a condo for his photography office and business, and for three years he was the condo board president - what a horrible job. They had to do an assessment for some problems that affected the whole complex and it was expensive, about $6K each (only 11 condos in the complex) and there were 2 or 3 absentee owners.

He also managed to lead a charge that got one problem renter out of the building, but it was a nasty fight.

Not for me.

But good luck on the coup!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on August 13, 2016, 11:45:50 AM
$1135 a month for two condos???????

Jeez louise

That's why I will never live in a place where someone else can tell me I can't park in my own driveway and charge me money for the privilege.

I think I'm going to move to a small town (like Ramona) where a guy can do as he pleases but the big town is just a short drive away if I need something.

Thats what we did despite our 1 neighbor it's great, and he's not so bad that he ruins it for us just pisses me off now and then.

Jims5543

I agree with Jeff, if I was on 5-10 acres, I would not G.A.F. what the other neighbors do.

I was very close to doing that and now suddenly I find myself looking at townhomes.  FML.

My wife is on a "lets downsize our life" bender.  I have one and only one demand. I want a 2 car garage do go find me a townhome with a 2 car garage and we can stay married.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

This townhouse I'm getting downtown has a 2 car garage.  There are literally zero places downtown with a garage.  As upsetting as this mismanagement is, this is still by far the most affordable place downtown.  For example right now the only other option for buying property are new condos that were just built on the east end of downtown for 400-600k.  The other option is buy in the condo outside the district 15 blocks away overlooking the river and pay 200-400k and pay $1400 a month in dues for a 2 bedroom.  Those prices are insane.  The dues on my townhouse are higher than I'd like but factoring in the mortgage I'm sitting at the equivalent of 275-300k and all utilities paid.  I could buy a very nice house in a subdivision for that cash but I'd rather take a bullet to the head.  I like walking anywhere I want to go, have a variety of non chain restaurants, fancy bars, coffee shops, music, art, events...  The other option is the country, which I'm a big fan of as well.  Till I get older and slow down I'm staying downtown.  I rent my condo below market value as is and will have to raise rent.  It still pays for the shop mortgage so at least I'm even there. 

jeff10049

I thought you were living at the new shop site what did I miss?

94touring

Vikram has been living there while he restores his mini.  I still stay downtown with a lady.  Lady and I are buying a place together.

94touring

I can't wait for elections in January.  I don't think they realize how this is going to play out. 

MiniDave

While I support you completely in what you are doing, be careful what you wish for......remember my buddy Don, who wound up president of his condo association - 3 years of absolute hell!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Not sure I'd run necessarily but I will put these arrogant knuckleheads in their place. 

94touring

Looks like he did some research on me anyways.

MiniDave

His name suits his comments....

Still he makes a good point, if you're not part of the solution you're part of the particles..... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Jims5543

I see Daves point but disagree at the same time.

I have lived in my HOA for 18 years now and have attended exactly 0.0 meetings. To say I have no fucks to give would be an overstatement.

Mine has proven to be useless, and since our HOA fees are something like $200 a year, refer to second sentence.

Dan should not have to step in, he has enough going on in his life, normally HOA's are run by people that were unable to attain any position of authority in the real world so this is their moment to power trip.  Typical HOA officers tend to be complete assholes high on the first position of power they attained since high school.

Dan's point is completely valid, how did monies get mismanaged to the point that they need to raise HOA rates so much at once. Typically, a condo association will hit everyone with a one time assessment when a huge unexpected repair comes along, like an elevator failing prematurely or a roof needing replacement sooner than budgeted for.

Sadly, many of these HOA's do not plan past the end of their nose and any unexpected repair puts them in a tailspin.

If utilities are included and prices are rising then it should be communicated to all owners what is going on, not only at the meeting but notices should be sent, communication, not everyone is sitting around waiting for the next HOA meeting so they can have their moment.

I envy Jeff, I will take his psycho neighbor anytime over mine, mostly be cause 10 acres separates them.  Lots of land forgives lots of transgressions.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Jim, pretty much my sentiments exactly.  I've been to 1 hoa meeting in 4 years.  Till now I've cared 0.  But now I'm blasting out emails and getting involved.  What they're doing is wrong.  The part that I found interesting in your reply was hoa leaders needing a position to power trip.  I've found just about all of them have this arrogant prick attitude.  They talk big but turn out to be pretty dim witted. 

jeff10049

Yes they are dim witted power trippers for sure. I'm so happy we don't live in a HOA anymore we demanded to see their books once when they were fucking with us and they stopped instantly. The bylaws said any homeowner had a right to see the books and they got really scared.

94touring

Update:  We took the hoa presidency.  My girlfriend ran for the both of us since I travel so much. We ran a solid campaign.  There were many cheese plates and box wine nights in the meeting room to talk with homeowners...and many battles between myself and a couple now ex hoa members.  Even had the cops called on one of my guys going door to door handing out flyers. 

MiniDave

Good luck!

I hope this doesn't become one of those "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it" things.

Glad you got to throw the bums out tho, well done.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Could be but would hate to do nothing and never know. 

jeff10049

Good, you'll do fine.

A little planning and good communication will make it all work out just fine.
Im thinking everyone is happy knowing they have a president with a clue.