Bad steering tie rod end?

Started by ADRay, July 24, 2016, 08:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

this is a continuation of this other thread, when I thought all I was dealing with was a bad cv boot

(http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1042.0)

upon closer inspection, I think I have a bad seal after all.

my problem is, while buttoning up the steering linkage, the tie Rod end bolt spins before the nut bottoms out.

Is this normal, or is it need to be replaced?

or do I need a special tool?

thanks
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

Are you sure it's running out of threads before it can get tight, or is it not able to tighten because the ball joint stud is turning? If the latter, put a floor jack under the bottom of the ball joint and put some upward pressure on it. The ball joint stud is tapered (as is the hole in the arm) so this forces the taper into the arm tighter allowing you to torque it properly.

Is the bad seal on the engine end or the CV joint end of the axle?

If the latter, MightyMous is right, time to disassemble those outer bearings and repack/reseal them. it's a messy job but not that hard to do, repack the CV joints too while you have the axle out.

If you don't want to drain the oil, you can slide the axle out of the pot joint leaving the pot in the engine, then when you reassemble it a new zip tie and some new grease in the pot joint and you're done.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

the latter. I'm going to try the jack right now.

thanks
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

You might have to put some pretty good pressure on it to get it to hold still while you tighten the nut.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

worked like a charm, thank you sir.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I recently replaced my long midget-style steering rod joints with a pair from MSC. 

One of the nyloc nuts was a bit shady, so I decided to replace it.  Imagine my surprise when I measured the thread and found that they came with M10 1.0 fine-thread nuts on the pins!  (I Found suitable nuts at a local Skoda dealership, Skoda p/n:  N 103 041 02)
- Pave the Bay -