Ivy - 1995 Mini Cooper

Started by flipstah, July 21, 2016, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yes....how are the bearings for example? Ball joints? Axle boots? Front and rear rubber brake hoses? Cotter pins for the front axles and rear bearings? Cotter pins for the pads? (those might come with the pads, but usually don't)

Some of that stuff looks like it has really come down in price, BTW.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: 94touring on June 17, 2024, 04:37:55 PMIf you're not needing to drive the car anytime soon, go ahead and pull your brakes off, disassemble, and see what all you need to buy or replace.

I wish I had that luxury. My garage is small and the wife's car goes in there while I park mine in a car cover.

flipstah

My MiniSpares order came and did the brakes today but had some minor setbacks that'll need another day of work,

- the rear drum adjuster screw was a tough one to remove so have to buy spare ones just in case I snap them and have to drill a new hole

- does anyone know the size of the front axle nut? Couldn't replace the discs so just did the pads until I buy the appropriate socket

MiniDave

Be aware that the rear adjuster screws come out to the inside of the drum, they don't come out thru the back of the backing plate......just FYI

I'm pretty sure the nuts are 1 5/16"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on June 29, 2024, 08:23:33 PMBe aware that the rear adjuster screws come out to the inside of the drum, they don't come out thru the back of the backing plate......just FYI

I'm pretty sure the nuts are 1 5/6"

Wait what? Lol that was dumb

So how does the adjusting work so that the shoes expand to the drum when it's on? I could not make the outside bolt move for the life of me

MiniDave

1 5/16, sorry.....

If the adjusting screw is stuck, you def need to get if freed up.....get some penetrating oil on it and with the rear drum off run it in and out till it moves freely. You can remove the screw to clean it by running it in all the way. You probably have to remove the shoes to get it out but if you can get it moving freely that will do.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on June 30, 2024, 08:17:06 AM1 5/16, sorry.....

If the adjusting screw is stuck, you def need to get if freed up.....get some penetrating oil on it and with the rear drum off run it in and out till it moves freely. You can remove the screw to clean it by running it in all the way. You probably have to remove the shoes to get it out but if you can get it moving freely that will do.

Just wanted to clarify that the "dumb" comment I made was the design of the drum brake.

Appreciate the help so far and I'll definitely need to get the bolt off to finish the work!

MiniDave

I usually remove the shoes, then I can get some heat on the adjuster if it's really stuck......but normally getting some penetrating oil on it and just working it back and forth will get it loose. Once you go to putting things back together a tiny bit of grease on the flats of the adjuster where they hit the shoes makes it all work better.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad