Ivy - 1995 Mini Cooper

Started by flipstah, July 21, 2016, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on August 09, 2017, 08:34:59 AM
Too bad your fancy image stabilization doesn't stabilize the image.

We still see eachother. Monday was actually a holiday here, and I drove mine the entire long weekend, all 3 days straight, but there are some issues. Mostly I get a solid clunk when going over bumps. I suspect shotty engine mounts, or something front subframe related. Also anthing over 25% throttle, I get a weird rattle, almost like heatshield or coins or something. I expect it's potentially valve float.

Sounds like it could be pinging.
Check the timing.
sorry don't have time to write a description here is a decent write up http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: jeff10049 on August 09, 2017, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on August 09, 2017, 08:34:59 AM
Too bad your fancy image stabilization doesn't stabilize the image.

We still see eachother. Monday was actually a holiday here, and I drove mine the entire long weekend, all 3 days straight, but there are some issues. Mostly I get a solid clunk when going over bumps. I suspect shotty engine mounts, or something front subframe related. Also anthing over 25% throttle, I get a weird rattle, almost like heatshield or coins or something. I expect it's potentially valve float.

Sounds like it could be pinging.
Check the timing.
sorry don't have time to write a description here is a decent write up http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

I thought that might be the issue, but I'm running 91 octane, and can't adjust timing on an SPI.

flipstah

Wow, I can't believe it's been this long since I did an update.

92k original kms and Ivy is still running strong. I've been toying with the fact of putting a VMax supercharger kit on it but don't know if the gearbox can handle it.

Just finished a car show this weekend and our car club won Best in Class!

MiniDave

6 people in a Mini!

Congrats on the win!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on May 28, 2018, 12:56:15 PM
6 people in a Mini!

Congrats on the win!

I was surprised how many wanted to sit in it. So I just left it open throughout the event and everyone loved it!

Then someone came by our booth and asked,

"How many people can fit in it?"

"I don't know. Let's find out."

Would've been better if it was me and 5 ladies c'est la vie such is life.  62.gif

My buddy who brought his Mini got attention as well because his is more stripped out and race spec with a three-piece 10x8 wheel.

Sitrep: Smurf is missing, still. :(

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on May 28, 2018, 01:53:52 PM
Yeah, where is Smurf?

He's too cool for me, with work and stuff.  11.gif

LilDrunkenSmurf

Yeah, where is Smurf?

I was approx 1200km away on a work contract. He never even offered to pick my car up and take it to the show for me.

flipstah

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on June 01, 2018, 09:19:33 AM
Yeah, where is Smurf?

I was approx 1200km away on a work contract. He never even offered to pick my car up and take it to the show for me.

I'm only one man!

MiniDave

Yeah, where is Smurf?

Hey Smurf, glad you're back - no internet where you were?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Smurf, Did you ever figure out the pinging noise? It is hard to change the timing on a spi but you can check it to make sure its right? clocking the dizzy correctly does have some effect so make sure that's right.

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: MiniDave on June 01, 2018, 09:55:42 AM
Yeah, where is Smurf?

Hey Smurf, glad you're back - no internet where you were?

I had internet, just busy with work. I only tend to check RM while at home.

Quote from: jeff10049 on June 01, 2018, 09:00:48 PM
Smurf, Did you ever figure out the pinging noise? It is hard to change the timing on a spi but you can check it to make sure its right? clocking the dizzy correctly does have some effect so make sure that's right.

Sure didn't! Or the clunk, or the high speed wobble. I should just hurry up and do that honda swap in 10 years...

flipstah

So I've been getting exhaust fumes in the cabin so might be time for an exhaust change.

Straight pipe or no? Hmmmmmm

Also time for maintenance so spark plugs, leads, oil change...

Hopefully the list you all have for compatible filters will work.

MiniDave

I use this stuff to seal exhaust up, works very well......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: flipstah on June 05, 2018, 09:44:44 PM
So I've been getting exhaust fumes in the cabin so might be time for an exhaust change.

Straight pipe or no? Hmmmmmm

Also time for maintenance so spark plugs, leads, oil change...

Hopefully the list you all have for compatible filters will work.

If you're in a bind, I think I might have 2 filters around, you could have one, if you replace it.

flipstah

Thanks Smurf for the oil filter.

Time to do some maintenance since I only got 247km last tank.

Spark plugs/wires
Oil change
Vacuum line check
Check brakes
Fix handbrake
Check for leaks (oil and exhaust fumes)
Tire rotation
Fix AC

Gonna be busy day tomorrow!

flipstah

Did the annual maintenance,

Oil/spark plugs change (only 3/4 since the 4th one is a PITA to get into. Getting a tool from Japan to do it)
Tire rotation
Check for leaks and diagnosis
Throttle body cleaning
Engine cleaning

Is it suppose to spew out that much fuel? Its like a hose.

MPlayle

The SPI being a single injector for feeding all 4 cylinders, it would seem like a hose.

MiniDave

How is the spark plug hidden? Is it behind an A.C compressor or something? What sort of special tool do they sell to change it?
got a link or a pic?

On Sunbeam tigers with the Ford V-8, two of the plugs you got to from under the wheel well, the back two you had to remove a large panel under the pedals!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Dave, it looks like pliers. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Yeah, hidden behind the compressor! That sucks about the Sunbeam but a V8 though!

flipstah

MiniDave

wow, that's interesting....is it that hard to loosen the compressor and move it out of the way enough to get a normal socket and extension on it?

Obviously no need to do that if you have this tool.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

The compressor and the alternator are stacked on top of one another so moving that + shield was cumbersome. There were AC lines that I'd have to move and I gave up.

MiniDave

Wow, that pic clears it up.....what a PITA for one spark plug.  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

So Ivy got into a fender bender a couple of weeks ago and this is the first free weekend I've had.

We hit the fender with a hydraulic press, a hammer, 2x4, and lots of coffee. Full day's work!