Ivy - 1995 Mini Cooper

Started by flipstah, July 21, 2016, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

It's funny, when I'm driving in my Mini I don't feel like I'm in a small car!  ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on June 19, 2017, 08:38:18 AM
It's funny, when I'm driving in my Mini I don't feel like I'm in a small car!  ;D

Same here! Up to the point when I'm staring at someone's bumper through the windshield.  9.gif

flipstah

LilDrunkenSmurf and I bought random parts from MiniSpares. Fenders are random, right?  22.gif

Side note: Found this on the internetz.

flipstah

I may have jinxed myself today. Lost steering due to a loose hub while picking up parts haha. Quick repair at the company parking lot solved it.

flipstah

First, steering. Now, brakes.

From bite to no bite. I'm pretty sure the master cylinder failed on me this morning FML.

Gate or wall? Gate. Mini is fine though!

LilDrunkenSmurf

I'm now curious if my brakes feel right or not, after talking to you. Mine have always felt "unpowered", like there was no servo/booster.

flipstah

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on June 21, 2017, 09:35:46 AM
I'm now curious if my brakes feel right or not, after talking to you. Mine have always felt "unpowered", like there was no servo/booster.

If yours require pedal to the metal to stop, you have problems. Otherwise, should be fine.

MiniDave

Quote from: flipstah on June 21, 2017, 08:14:03 AM
First, steering

I was driving Buzz home from a weekend run about 200 miles form home when I noticed something drop by my foot - when I looked down I saw about 5 small nuts - all from my steering wheel where it attaches to the hub - there was one screw left still tight! I eased over to the side of the road but I had no pliers or wrenches with me, so all I could do was put them on finger tight, all the rest of the drive home I was reaching around under the wheel tightening the nuts as they repeatedly loosened.  When I got home I Locktited those suckers!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Sounds like my Tuesday, Dave!

So all my brake fluid is gone from the reservoir but no leak. The theory is that the master cylinder seal gave way and the fluids are in the servo.

MiniDave

You're probably right, if so it will put white smoke out the tailpipe. Sounds like time for a new master cylinder.....good luck with the clevis pin!   ::) 50.gif

Make sure it's not your rear wheel cylinders leaking, sometimes the fluid gets absorbed by the brake dust and doesn't dribble out, but it usually shows up on the backing plate.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

The website lied!

Bought fenders with LilDrunkenSmurf from MiniSpares and got these:

http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Body/Exterior_Trim/Wheel_Arch_moulding/GAW117.aspx?030502&ReturnUrl=/shop/classic/Body/Exterior~Trim/Wheel~Arch~moulding.aspx|Back%20to%20shop

When I went to deliver them, we saw that the holes don't even match rofl.

Meanwhile, Ivy is in the shop here in Calgary to get a new master cylinder and suspension cones.

flipstah

"Keep it stock" I said.

"It'll be a classic" I said.

http://www.podifold.com/

flipstah

Finally got Ivy back from the repair shop. New steel brake line and suspension cones were apparently a bitch to get fixed.

The invoice reflected it haha!

After I got it back, I installed the new fenders from MiniSpares. Mint!

94touring

MiniDave

Changing the front cones is a particular bitch if you don't know to take the upper control arm out first......and those upper arms can likewise be a true biotch!

Car looks great, how does it drive now with the new cones? Did you put "stock" or "standard" (as compared to red or yellow dot ) cones in?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on July 17, 2017, 03:28:15 PM
Changing the front cones is a particular bitch if you don't know to take the upper control arm out first......and those upper arms can likewise be a true biotch!

Car looks great, how does it drive now with the new cones? Did you put "stock" or "standard" (as compared to red or yellow dot ) cones in?

Drives better with less sag up front. It doesn't sound like the engine will pop off. It's bouncy. Standard cones from MiniSpares.

flipstah

Saturday fun jam concluded with installing some bullet mirrors. They were meant for an old Mazda or Toyota, so fabricated an adapter plate to fit.

A full detail and we're off.

flipstah

I should really get parking lessons.  :-[

One of these things is not like the others.

flipstah

MiniDave

Nice video about your town, and thank you for not using some heavy metal background music!

BTW, is Smurf still driving his? do you guys see each other from time to time?

did you shoot all this on a Sunday? didn't seem like much traffic......

How did you mount the camera/phone in the back window?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

That was fun. Great to see you out enjoying your mini.

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on August 08, 2017, 06:16:23 AM
Nice video about your town, and thank you for not using some heavy metal background music!

BTW, is Smurf still driving his? do you guys see each other from time to time?

did you shoot all this on a Sunday? didn't seem like much traffic......

How did you mount the camera/phone in the back window?

Thanks, Dave. Glad you enjoyed it. I was going to do some electronic music, but I think the relaxing piano fits the car. It's not clickbait, but it'll do.

I still see Smurf from time to time; just salvaged his A/C unit because he's cooler than me.

Holiday Monday shoot so it was completely dead and I just used a suction phone holster in the back.

Quote from: Willie_B on August 08, 2017, 06:58:47 AM
That was fun. Great to see you out enjoying your mini.

Thanks!

LilDrunkenSmurf

Too bad your fancy image stabilization doesn't stabilize the image.

We still see eachother. Monday was actually a holiday here, and I drove mine the entire long weekend, all 3 days straight, but there are some issues. Mostly I get a solid clunk when going over bumps. I suspect shotty engine mounts, or something front subframe related. Also anthing over 25% throttle, I get a weird rattle, almost like heatshield or coins or something. I expect it's potentially valve float.

MiniDave

I doubt it's valve float unless you're at redline.....valve float is not a rattly noise you'll hear, the engine will just start missing badly at real high RPMs.

The clunk is more likely to be an engine steady, motor mount or subframe mount that's broken.

If your car has a cat converter, it probably still has the heat shields, those can give an odd rattle at certain RPMs. Easy to fix.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Smurf, let's swap cars for a day and see what's going on.  20.gif