Ivy - 1995 Mini Cooper

Started by flipstah, July 21, 2016, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

As long as yours is not giving any problems (dead spots or hesitations), it will be very reliable.  I have had a couple of FI Minis before that were wonderfully reliable cars - almost a "jump in and drive" level of reliability.

It was only the last one (the Tahiti Blue known as Flur) that had issues that seemed to be due to NLA sensors starting to go out.

The conversion is documented in a thread on this forum.

Edit: Here is the conversion thread.
http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=960.0

Edit #2: Here is a picture of where in the manifold the factory O2 sensor is located (directly underneath the throttle body).

flipstah

That looks like a pain in the butt to get into. It did stop beeping once I put premium gas.  20.gif

BruceK

Quote from: flipstah on June 01, 2017, 12:45:56 PM
That looks like a pain in the butt to get into.

Other than spark plugs, I'm trying to think of something on a Mini that is not a pain in the butt to get to. 

It did stop beeping once I put premium gas.

What!?  You were being cheap on gas?   ;D

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

flipstah

Quote from: BruceK on June 01, 2017, 02:58:57 PM
That looks like a pain in the butt to get into.

Other than spark plugs, I'm trying to think of something on a Mini that is not a pain in the butt to get to. 

It did stop beeping once I put premium gas.

What!?  You were being cheap on gas?   ;D

Don't banish me into the depths of hell! SUCH BLASPHEMY!  :(

flipstah

Just out and about around the neighborhood.

LarryLebel

You're a brave man or you don't care about dents or broken lights to parallel park between 2 behemoth, relatively speaking, vehicles.

MiniDave

I find people in an urban setting like this are a little more careful when it's a classic or something unusual parked near them, but for the average silver Honda? You're on your own.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Yeah, I find people are more aware that a Mini is within proximity and doesn't want to deal with the crowd that will light their truck on fire.

At least, that's how I dreamt it.

And they want to work behind me lol!

LilDrunkenSmurf

Do the conversion, so you can do mine.

BruceK

I love the photos in this thread of Ivy out on the wild. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

flipstah

So... My fender flares are falling apart. There are so many variations on MiniSpares! I don't know which ones to choose!

MiniDave

Bruce is changing his out right now (or just did, I don't remember).......Bruce?

I like the big fat ones on my car cause of the wide offset wheels I'm running, with stock 12's like Bruce has I'd probably go with the ones he did.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

^ Looking good, Dave! Are those 12's or 13's? Deep dish!  71.gif

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 07, 2017, 07:58:54 AM
Bruce is changing his out right now (or just did, I don't remember).......Bruce?

I like the big fat ones on my car cause of the wide offset wheels I'm running, with stock 12's like Bruce has I'd probably go with the ones he did.

Yes, looks like you have the Group 2 flares - same as I had on my car until a couple of days ago (Dan's pulled them off and they will be replaced).   

While I generally liked how they looked, they had these two problems for me:

1)  They cracked all around the screw holes
2) and, worse of all, the outer edge of the flare actually sits and inch or so lower than the Mini's regular metal body wheelarch opening behind it.  With the not-too-big wheels/tires I use (12 X 5.5), that meant I had to raise the car high enough to allow suspension travel without the outer edge of the tire hitting the flares  - and aesthetically, I didn't like my car sitting up that high.  But of course even with the car lifted up slightly with these flares the tires did hit on big bumps (producing a nice temporary burnt rubber smell) and no doubt that contributed to some of the cracking.

I decided to replace the Group 2 flares and go with the Wood & Pickett style because they sit flush with the Mini's metal wheel arch openings (meaning I can lower the car just a little) and they have a really clean, finished look with no exposed fasteners. These come in different sizes, like the bigger ones on Dave's Mini, or narrower which is what I chose, like these that MiniSpares offers: http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Body/Exterior_Trim/Wheel_Arch_moulding/MS133MS.aspx?030502&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/picket.aspx|Back to search

This is what I am getting rid of.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Don has the Wilson Pickett's on his Pup too......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Oooo, I like the look of those Wilson Pickett's flares.  Course I'm still planning on not running any.  At the moment....
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

flipstah

I might get the Wood & Pickett style flares! Mine are cracking around the screw holes and slowly falling apart.  :-[

flipstah

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on June 05, 2017, 06:36:20 PM

You do yours first! You're my guinea pig.  19.gif

EDIT: I might be a cheap bloke, and put this in my shopping cart.

gr8kornholio

I put those mirrors on mine.  Love them.  Can actually see out of them compared to the bullet style ones that were originally on it.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

Quote from: flipstah on June 07, 2017, 01:04:37 PM

You do yours first! You're my guinea pig.

Sorry, but I think I was the forum's guinea pig on the FI-to-Carb conversion.  I documented it for others to be able to follow.  Get to it!

flipstah

Quote from: bikewiz on June 07, 2017, 04:50:14 PM
Quote from: flipstah on June 07, 2017, 01:04:37 PM

You do yours first! You're my guinea pig.  19.gif

EDIT: I might be a cheap bloke, and put this in my shopping cart.

Don't buy that Aston cap I have one I'll sell you for $15 shipped 4.gif

GASP! I might take you up on that offer. Also, someone might be willing to trade me random parts like flares and side mirrors for a spare steering wheel I have lying around. STAY TUNED.

Side note: Facebook has changed how classic car part trading is being executed.

flipstah

Overnight parts to and from Japan!

LilDrunkenSmurf

I have my old aston cap somewhere. It's a little pitted, but you can have it for free.

flipstah

I feel bad, because this is now becoming a picture thread rather than a restoration thread.

BUT SHE IS RUNNING WELL.  62.gif 62.gif 62.gif