Ivy - 1995 Mini Cooper

Started by flipstah, July 21, 2016, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flipstah

Hi everyone!

At the behest of LilDrunkenSmurf, guess I'm joining the party over here.  17.gif

When one door closes, another one opens.

Time to get a new adventure going!

1995 Rover Mini Cooper in 83,000ish original kms. FUEL INJECTION, BABY! JDM.

Already had my first adventure in the rain couple of weeks ago lol.

Driving out of downtown in the rain and it was sputtering. Thought it was wheel spin, but it died.

I definitely wouldn't have made it up the hill, so I used the offramp to bumpstart back into life and prayed to make it to a gas station.

Made it to the Shell through luck and timing and looked around:

Kinda need that...

Also, LABELS WERE IN JAPANESE. That was fun lol. Just followed the wiring and see where it led.

Saved my ass as always, Leatherman.

Also, distributor was soaking wet. Who puts it in the front of the grille?! Love the quirkiness.

Dried it up using paper towels, rigged a Shell-branded shield for now so I can get to work. NAILED IT.

Some other issues:

- AC clutch won't engage
- There's a short on the headlight, keeping it on during drives
- Suspension is bouncy, like I have stiff coilovers
- Also eats up a lot of 20W50. Losing half quart a week or so. Head valve is probably leaking like a sieve

Already looking for interior upgrades. :D

flipstah

Took a day off today to do some easy touch ups and learn more about the car.

I checked the dipstick and it was really dry, so I stuck a quart of 10w20 and all is well. Might do a flush tomorrow or this weekend because the weight is too light and it needs 20w50.

Next, cleaned up the wiring in the trunk with some zip ties,

I then bought a buddy's woodshop project from junior high and mounted his unused knob onto mine! It was flimsy at first, but once I knew the thread pitch I superglued a coupling and all is well! I think it suits the car. Just need the wheel to be wooden as well.

Thanks, Jason!

flipstah

Last week was maintenance weekend! As I build my parts order coming from the U.K., it's time to do some basic fun stuff.

10W40 was too light and I noticed that it's eating up half a quart every week (not sure if it's a leak or just the heat/gears disintegrating the oil), but changing it up to the recommended 20W50 weight.

Oil filter is accessible through the removable grille.

Apparently, the last time this got an oil change was ~3-4 weeks ago.

Pretty jet black for a month old oil, so either the 10W40 can't handle the heat and just breaking down faster than normal or not month-old oil.

Meanwhile, rusty screws were easy using the trust WD

Turn signals were giving me grief during this downpour. I wonder why.

[bimg]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/8F650318-4B84-46B8-B06D-065CA5F07DDA_zpswb4xji4k.jpg[/bimg]

So much rust and water exposure!

DIY distributor shield: done.

Just used thin rubber/foam composite. Will monitor if it's causing overheating.

MiniDave

Welcome to the forum! If this happens again my brother who lives in England said a rubber glove with the ends of the fingers cut out is a good stop gap!   ;D

The factory put a shield on later cars that hooked onto the valve cover and laid over the front of the engine so as to not block airflow to the rad, but it's cool enough up there in the Great White North that it may not be an issue for you.....

Be sure to run oil with Zinc in it or ZDDP, otherwise you will destroy the camshaft and lifters. I also use 20W50....changing oil every 3K is a good idea on these cars...unlike modern cars that easily go 7-10K on a change.

Common oil leak points on that car are where the shift rod goes into the transmission (cheap and easy repair with a seal kit) and the valve cover gasket - also cheap and easy. On the VC gasket, I glue it to the cover, then use a thin layer of grease on the engine side so it's easy to remove the cover to adjust the valves.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Thanks, MiniDave!

I found this PDF that I uploaded in my site regarding the ZDDP levels in the 20W50 Castrol GTX.

Before this, I owned a 1973 Land Rover and used Rotella T6 5W40. Seemed to have liked that blend.

https://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/response_to_zddp_article_from_castrol.pdf

AcesLow

Welcome to the forum. I am on Beyond.ca as well. If you want the coils let me know.

MiniDave

Quote from: flipstah on July 21, 2016, 09:14:46 AM
Thanks, MiniDave!

I found this PDF that I uploaded in my site regarding the ZDDP levels in the 20W50 Castrol GTX.

Before this, I owned a 1973 Land Rover and used Rotella T6 5W40. Seemed to have liked that blend.

https://doncommando.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/response_to_zddp_article_from_castrol.pdf

Good to know that we have another choice of oil for our old classics...I had heard that Rotella was another good choice, along with a Valvoline (ZR?) I use Brad Penn as it's readily available here in KC and reasonably priced. I have never heard of a "cam break in paste" with high levels of Moly......that the article mentions, going to have to look into this.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

LDS and I drove around and he definitely recommend I check my rubber cones for replacement.

I was able to find the 'original' owner that brought it from Japan and he said he hasn't touched the suspension for it might be due for a change.

Not sure what else to change while I'm in there, but let's have a peek and build that Minispares list.  62.gif

Quote from: AcesLow on July 21, 2016, 09:46:30 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am on Beyond.ca as well. If you want the coils let me know.

Depending on what I need, I might take you up on that offer.

Meanwhile, at Cars and Coffee:

A Child Was Born by Tang3nt, on Flickr

Minilites by Tang3nt, on Flickr

MiniDave

I love the Japanese market Mini parked next to Godzilla!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

VIN checkup says that my engine is the 1300cc SPi high compression Mini Cooper. YEAAAA

EDIT: How can I change the rear interior trim? I have cards that match the front door trim, which was changed by the previous owner.

flipstah

It's been a 'creature comfort' update this week.

Needed beverage holders to quench down the summer heat, so I made one from adjustable zip ties and a wire basket from the dollar store:

Next was fixing the tail light. Gasket was placed back incorrectly and busted the bulb by flooding it,

I was able to fix it for now, but will look for LEDs.

Meanwhile, I had some spare time before the gym, so I hung around Value Village. Found a binocular case for $3 and an old suitcase. Turned it into a new parcel shelf and tool bag:

LilDrunkenSmurf

I'm jealous of the binocular case

flipstah

Come to Value Village with me and explore.

DS1980

Where did you come from? A certain forum that allows the acts of one to affect the happiness of all?

jeff10049

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on July 26, 2016, 01:33:25 PM

I like that too,welcom to the forum.

Jeff

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: DS1980 on July 26, 2016, 03:02:50 PM
Where did you come from? A certain forum that allows the acts of one to affect the happiness of all?

I don't know where you're referring to, but I brought him over from a local Canadian car forum (non-mini specific).

MtyMous

Julia Nunes, eh? You've got interesting tastes and a thrifty sense about yourself. We should be friends.

flipstah

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on July 27, 2016, 04:58:34 AM
Quote from: DS1980 on July 26, 2016, 03:02:50 PM

I don't know where you're referring to, but I brought him over from a local Canadian car forum (non-mini specific).

I came from the land of Beavertails.

Quote from: jeff10049 on July 26, 2016, 11:09:11 PM
Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on July 26, 2016, 01:33:25 PM

I like that too,welcom to the forum.

Jeff

Thanks!

Quote from: MtyMous on July 27, 2016, 06:33:47 PM
Julia Nunes, eh? You've got interesting tastes and a thrifty sense about yourself. We should be friends.

I'm pretty weird. I just bought a Volvo turbo wagon to turn into a daily driver, including ski trips.

flipstah

MiniDave

Ordered a few pieces?   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on August 02, 2016, 02:18:34 PM
Ordered a few pieces?   77.gif

I accidentally added the wooden steering wheel, but I regret nothing.

flipstah

Here are sample of overnight parts from London AKA wait for the tea to steep for 2 business days.

I installed it underground because it's hailing lately.

LilDrunkenSmurf

MiniDave

Is the thing on the windshield a phone mount, and the green cord a power cord?

Car looks terrific - is the interior black or dark blue? Sometime the photo affects the look of the color.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad