My various projects thread.

Started by 94touring, July 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Can we install your existing engine in a mini after the new one goes into the RX7?
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Lol no, it gets redone to bump up the compression and sits on the shelf as a very expensive spare till I need it. However, can we schedule a time to grab that 1275 on your former employers shelf?  The pickup truck begins paint soon!  By soon I'm thinking February.  Gotta squeeze your truck in.

Merlin

If you want to put a date on the painting, then Ill make sure you have all the parts at that time.

I will try to pick that 1275 up today.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Quote from: Merlin on September 22, 2017, 08:22:34 AM
If you want to put a date on the painting, then Ill make sure you have all the parts at that time.

I will try to pick that 1275 up today.

I absolutely have to get the orange mini done and gone and get cracking on the 66 suspension so my customers don't get pissed.  The 66 wouldn't even be here but took on the work for my idiot cousin. Nothing like 3 car builds, a full time job, house remodel, and no help.  Finished rebuilding doors for the orange mini, which was the end of it.  Those will be painted soon and then button things up.  It's nice getting shop space freed back up! 

MiniDave

Merlin's "former employer"?

And no way, the Pup is actually going to get painted? After only 10 years?   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

gr8kornholio

Nothing like 3 car builds, a full time job, house remodel, and no help.

Unfortunately your probably in the middle, location wise of all your help.  We should organize a mini meet at your place and bang some stuff out.  I love to learn while working.  Body work I'm new at, suspensions I know pretty well.     
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Door week.  Hopefully just one more day of sanding.

MPlayle

On the door in the foreground, what it the tape wrapped piece sticking up where the window glass normally would be?

94touring

It's the rubber. Easier than removing.  The other door rubber was split and I stuffed it in the door.

94touring

Will have to mount these next week.

pmustang

Holey smokes, that's some serious rust

94touring

Adding this here. I know I'll be looking for a hood for this thing and maybe the proper intake cover. 

1950 Crosley Hotshot

Powel Crosley Jr. made a fortune during the 1920's and 30's manufacturing radios and refrigerators for the masses. In 1939 he introduced the economical Crosley automobile. Following WWII he turned his attention to creating an American sports car. The result was the Crosley Hotshot, introduced in 1949. Powered by a 44 cubic inch, 4 cylinder engine creating 26.5 horsepower, combined with the lightweight body (just 1184 pounds), the Crosley could go! In 1950, a Hotshot won the first Sebring 12-hour endurance race, an amazing accomplishment for the little roadster. The race put Crosley on the map and made the Hotshot a force to be reckoned with on the racing circuit.

Just 835 Hotshots were produced in 1950, with production ending completely by 1952. It was a car ahead of its time. 

BruceK

That is a really cool car.  Sort of an American Bugeye Sprite - nearly a decade earlier.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Some of the first makes had disc brakes that were used on aircraft.  That was short lived as they froze up in the winter due to salt on the roads.  Not sure what this one has on it yet.

BruceK

Wow.  That must be one of the earliest applications of disc brakes!    Is there a hood?  And I'm asking that in both the American and British senses in the word.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Supposed to have a hood but I don't think he ever sourced one. I'll keep checking ebay and other online sources for something to pop up.

94touring

About have one car put back together.

And my mini finally died via crack, dumping 5 quarts of oil in a real hurry.

MiniDave

That crack might be fixable, but you do have another case that could be built up into a good gearbox.

Hope it didn't break the spider gears, that could make the case unusable.......be careful trying to drive it or even flat tow it till you find out if it broke internally.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It is interesting that the crack is in both the main case and the differential case.

I have the used rod-change transmission from the 998 going into the Moke available.  It includes the drop gears.

MiniDave

I'm thinking broken spider gears may have caused the cracks.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Bought Michael's gearbox.  This cracked one will now be used for parts or an eventual rebuild based off of what I currently have laying around.  Dave probably knows more of what I have gearbox related than I do, lol. 

94touring

94touring

MiniDave

That's two for Patton this year? Does he have any more for you to do?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad