My various projects thread.

Started by 94touring, July 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Note the rx7 mirrors in there too. 

94touring

Finally got rid of the huge grandma style steering wheel and put in something sporty.  Relocated the cruise control that's mounted to the old wheel, and put on my new mirrors so I can see what in the H I'm doing.  Life is getting better.

94touring

Aside from vikrams doors and boot hinges, I have my rx7 spoiler, and not shown is the orange mini boot hinges and brg 66 s boot lid.

94touring

Some Vikram door prep, a headliner started on another car, and my spoiler did up.

MiniDave

Isn't the headliner a 2 man job? don't you have to stretch both sides at once to keep the wrinkles out? I'll be curious to see how this goes....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's a one man job when you're me!  Lol.  Heavy duty clips fill in for a 2nd man.

94touring

I did manage to find time to install the spoiler while paint dried on other projects. Took some effort to get it positioned properly. I also took out the rear wiper motor and arm which I never use. Weight savings to offset the wing weight right?!

gr8kornholio

Sounds reasonable.  Looks awesome.  Favorite rx-7 body. 

Back in high school my friend and I turned his 85 gxl-se into a scary beast.  Car was fast and handled great, but it never felt planted in the road.  Like those jet boats that just skim across the water.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

This rx7 is a beast.  Plus I'm about to install water/meth injection and crank the boost from 15 to 20psi.  I'll need some stickier race tires for that.  Already smokes them all of 1st and 2nd and tries to top of 3rd.  A few suspension upgrades have been made and a few more on the list.  The 3rd gens were nearlyperfection from the factory as is. 

94touring

Willie_B

94touring

Sadly the other side didn't get done.  But I bought an impact wrench to get it done.

MiniDave

Don't use force, get a bigger hammer!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I broke a socket adapter trying to break a bolt free with the breaker bar.  Plus no room to swing a hammer.

94touring

300ft lbs and some extreme heat later broke the passenger sidr free. Even the disc hub needed beat to hell to pop off.  The rears will have to wait till I get Vikram done. I also managed to replace the rear hatch hydraulic arms. No more resting the hatch on my head!  Even opens by itself when I pop the lid.

Jims5543

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 28, 2017, 12:53:55 PM
Sounds reasonable.  Looks awesome.  Favorite rx-7 body. 

Back in high school my friend and I turned his 85 gxl-se into a scary beast.  Car was fast and handled great, but it never felt planted in the road.  Like those jet boats that just skim across the water.

I used to have a 1987 RX7  that had over 500HP and weighed around 2600 lbs.  I had it up to 175 MPH racing a Porsche Carerra GT and I never felt a lack of confidence in that car at speed.  Although that car had coil overs, sways and we dialed a rake into it when corner balancing the coil overs for high speed stability.

My 1983 RX7 was the same as your friends at 110ish (terminal velocity in a 110 HP 12A Rotary) it was floating around. It was bone stock though.

Dans car is a beast and once he gets meth in it watch out. Seem like this vandalism deal turned out to be a blessing in disguise for you, I know it ate up some time. That FD is coming along really nice.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

gr8kornholio

http://www.miniguy.com/vehicles/red60primer59/

Cause you can never have too many projects right?  It's 2 MK1 minis with loads of parts.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Trust me, I have too many projects.   20.gif

94touring

Got this new front end on. Initially the plan was fit it, take it off, and paint it.  After the struggle to get it on I'm thinking I'll paint it on the car.   This is a stock 99 bumper and the openings are yuge compared to my 94 bumper.

MiniDave

I like the NACA duct in the former (?) headlight cover!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yes, so I did the Efini style body basically, which includes the naca vents, the 99 bumper, and efini badges in place of the Mazda toilet bowl looking badges.  Just a minor face lift. Hard to believe it's 23 years old!

A before and after comparison photo.

MiniDave

I know you like the style better and the larger openings are functional, but it's starting to remind me of a previous generation Camaro.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You'll have to show me cause I know zilch about cameros.

Merlin

Hes talking about this catfish...

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

I suppose kinda the same shape, but that's about it.

Started putting the OKC mini back together.