My various projects thread.

Started by 94touring, July 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Seems to have a lot of orange in it....is that Tartan red?

Nice to see cars moving thru the shop and getting finished like this.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's called skittles red. It's pretty orangy.

MiniDave

Is there a break-in period for RX-7 motors - say to seat the tip seals? Or is it pretty much good to go from first start up?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah the factory had an outline depending on if you use new bearings or using it as a race motor. Everyone else has their own opinions from zero break in to thousands of miles and countless oil changes.  Since my housings and irons were reused it should take awhile to build full compression as all the seals bed in.  You have apex seals but also corner and side seals.  I only have 300 miles on it and at the 500 mark will change the oil and go above 4k rpms and start lightly boosting. I will check compression at that point to see where I'm at.  I checked it right after the build and had steady compression across all 6 faces within a few psi, which is a very good thing. Overall was a bit low but to be expected. The main thing is having them all be the same. Piston compression testers also aren't the most accurate way to get readings on a rotary.  Kinda tricky. 

94touring

On the to do list are new disc front and back.  My 6 puck clutch and lightweight flywheel has been very easy to drive too.

94touring

Today finished off this roof and interior spray.

Put 500 miles on the rx7 so began tuning.  Piston compression tester said my engine basically sucks, but butt dyno says otherwise.  Burns the tires to shreads in 2nd and blurry vision fast in 3rd. Still some tweaks yet to do.  My boost controller or wastegate is acting up. 

MiniDave

That's the Patton car? Very orange!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's Pattons.  Just not the old faded orange anymore!

94touring

Just a few areas that need a little more prep and this one will be painted and ready for reassembly.

94touring

94touring

Jeff is blasting subframes today.

94touring

My mirrors fell off and dented my doors.  Adding this to the various projects column.  The up side is insurance covers it and I happen to know a body guy.

MPlayle

How did you manage to have BOTH mirrors fall off at the same time?

94touring

Vandalism.  Punched or hit off with some kind of object. 

Vikram

That's truly a shitty move, I'm sorry that happened to you. But it could have been worse, I'm sure she'll be back on the road in no time.

94touring

Indeed. But what they didn't factor in was I'll come out ahead since I'm capable of doing the work myself.

Merlin

Shall we break more stuff and put in on the insurance?
Engineering the Impossible

gr8kornholio

That's just so wrong on so many levels.  Find something else to do with your time then destroy someone's property.  Glad you'll be able to fix it. 

I lost mirrors once.  The passenger side was ripped off by a wire I parked to close to and then backing out it caught it and snap.  The drivers side, of the same vehicle, later rattled off while driving down the road due to the insane stereo(2 12" subs) I had in it(83 s10), along with the rear view post that eventually cracked in half and fell to the floor.  Good times.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

94touring

I may just end up letting another shop do the work. I could easily slap on new mirrors and paint the doors and fender but...they want to replace the glass to get behind the a pillar to fix a dent, which in turn means painting the whole car since the a panel blends into the body. There's also a few weather strippings they want to replace.  About 2 weeks worth of work.   So I could do it my way and pocket a bunch of cash but it take me forever since I'm backed up OR have them knock out the whole car.  Bonus features are I had a previous ding and scratch on each door that bug the crap out of me and the windshield has a rock chip.  Front panel has a lot of rock chips too for that matter. 

John Gervais

106.gif

Well, that really stinks, but might as well have them do it all, as long as you have control over the quality of the work done.  Just don't let them drive your new engine before you've got it fully broken in.

A few years ago, someone walked on Hyacinth's car. - life in the city, some drunk teenager on a Friday night.  A new bonnet, new roof, new rear hatch and associated 'bits' (Toyota Yaris).  The car was only 3-months old at the time.  We had the dealership take care of the work, as we wanted OEM panels and trim bits. 

Now it's starting to rust around the rear wiper, the inner bits of the bonnet and a few spots around the roof antenna. 

18.gif
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Never F*ck with another mans vehicle, it is against the rules.

I guess the silver lining here is you get a nice freshen up on the entire car, and a new windshield.

NWS due to language. But so appropriate.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Today I did all these in one shot.

Vikram

94touring

I ended up taking the insurance payout on the rx7.  There's a bunch of upgrades I've wanted to do to it and this funds all that.  I'll even be trying a new paint line on it that the paint shop says has better coverage.  Now to find time...