My various projects thread.

Started by 94touring, July 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Dan answered the question - the shims are already in use.

94touring

Next on deck is just bought a 2 year old barely used harness for the rx7.  As mine turns 24 years old and 100k miles they get crispy and begin to break down.  However the other important reason is I'm doing a single turbo harness simplification.  This involves depinning and taking out tons of unused clips and wires that go unused from the stock configuration. They came with the "rats nest" and some 100 feet of silicon hoses for the complicated twin turbos. Trying to keep things as clean as possible.  After I unwrap this new harness I'll use some high temp engine bay wrap and do it up nice to hopefully have it in tip top shape for another 25 years+

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

It should look like this when I'm done, and hopefully work!

MiniDave

A friend of mine is building a DF Goblin, (sort of an Ariel Atom type thing) and they have a terrific series of build videos.....the donor is a Chevy Malibu (??) and in one of the videos (actually I think it's 4 or 5 videos!) they redo the harness like this, it was pretty interesting to see them pluck the unneeded stuff out and what they wound up with......same process you'll be doing.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah when I installed the last engine and hooked up the old harness I thought...boy this is cluttered with unused stuff.  Just nice to keep it simple and clean.  Easier hooking things back up too instead of wondering if you forgot something.

94touring

Harbor freight 12 ton press #60604 review.

Bought it over labor day for 25 percent off. There's a few things on it I'll weld to make it stronger just cause, but otherwise easy to assemble and worked great on some rotors I needed to press bearings on.  Also bought some bearing races from HF.  The specific one I needed from Atkins rotary to do this job was $80. So $40 later on a race set, there was one that would suffice...though I had to put it on my drill press and turn it down to get it to fit perfectly. No big deal.

MiniDave

I have the 20 ton version of this press I bought off of CL for $95, a fellow bought it to press some axle bearings on his Mustang and didn't need it again after that so - his loss my gain! I use mine all the time and while it does take up some floor space, it's so handy to have! I shortened the real legs so it would fit up closer to the wall but it's still plenty stable.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah one use and it's already paid for itself.  I looked at the 20 ton but it had a hefty frieght charge since I had to order online.  The 12 ton was 6 bucks shipped.  I figure if I ever need more than 12 I can put a 20 on and weld on some supports.

Jims5543

That press is slick, I love that you are diving into a hard core rebuild.

Good luck sir!

My deep down rotardism is cheering for you.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I'll post up my rotary engine rebuild bench tomorrow.  I do have an engine stand on the way, but the bench is so cool I just want to have it there for viewings lol.

94touring

MiniDave

When I build my project car I'll have a similar task, removing air bag harnesses, ABS wires, all sorts of extra and unneeded circuits and systems....but I'll have to do the whole car harness not just the engine - if I want to use the HVAC and instruments and such from the donor car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Luckily for me others have done it before so I have diagrams to go by.

MiniDave

I'm going to buy a factory wiring schematic.....that's the other reason I want to use a Fiesta for a donor, less complicated electronics - fewer options.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gasmini

Dan,
I'm just wondering how you can get such a smooth finish on a drill press? How much material were you taking off?

94touring

I took about 2mm off the inner ring and maybe 1mm off the outer.  I used the corner of a file to take the bulk off, then used 40 grit paper, 80, 120, and then 320 wet. 

94touring

Cobbled together brackets for the engine stand to work with a rotary.

Lone Star Mini

I will have to take my time reading through this whole thread.. looks like some good info.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Don't get confused....Minis don't have rotary engines!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on September 19, 2017, 11:16:01 AM

I've seen photos of rotary engines for 40 years, but I never saw one disassembled in person until Dan showed me his engine last week.  What struck me was the size of the rotors - for some reason I thought they were much larger - all the photos I've seen have no point of reference as to size.   I was surprised to see that you could stretch out the fingers of your hand and pretty much cover up a rotor.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Started in on this harness. Very tedious so far.

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on September 19, 2017, 06:37:08 PM
Quote from: 94touring on September 19, 2017, 11:16:01 AM

I've seen photos of rotary engines for 40 years, but I never saw one disassembled in person until Dan showed me his engine last week.  What struck me was the size of the rotors - for some reason I thought they were much larger - all the photos I've seen have no point of reference as to size.   I was surprised to see that you could stretch out the fingers of your hand and pretty much cover up a rotor.

Bruce, we have one on a stand at school and I never could quite visualize how it all worked - ours has an electric motor attached and you can run it at slow speed and once you see if moving, it all becomes clear. If you think of each lobe of the rotor as the top of a piston, that's a pretty good amount of volume - and because each lobe fires on every revolution, with a 2 rotor engine it's like having a 6 cylinder 2 stroke......even tho it goes thru 4 "strokes" each revolution too. Genius!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

They are tiny, compared to normal engines.  I remember when we removed all the stuff from my friends gen1 and realized just how little in the engine bay was actually engine.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Cut out everything on the harness I think.  A few wire colors don't jive with the book so I'll need to go though my current harness on the car and verify I didn't cut out something I need. In the meantime I left the wires and pins in and zip tied together off to the side before I wrap it all back up.  I must have taken half of the plugs out.  I do have 6 new injector plugs coming for an improved setup I intend to run.  This goes on the back burner till I save up for that though.

And...it was time to order sand paper for the shop. Was running low on 40, 80, and 2000 grit.  I forget how expensive it is 100 sheets at a time.  :-\