My various projects thread.

Started by 94touring, July 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

How far will you go with the new paint, to the seam and the whole front end? Looks like liberal use of stone chip under the bumper and on the valance?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Well with everything else that's being done with flares and plugging old flare holes, basically the whole car minus the roof and windscreen surround.  Found a bunch of orbital sand marks on the bonnet, so fixing it too.

94touring

Merlin/Justin fabbed up wheel dollies.  Bruce's car is the guinnie pig. They work quite well actually.  Need to put your weight into the front a little but easily doable.  Floors must be clean and crack free. 

MiniDave

I really like this idea but I would need large rubber tired casters to move on my cracked, broken up floor.

Don just bought a set of dollies for his garage, with the addition of the Midget roadster he'll need them to get everything in his garage when winter comes. His have a jack handle to raise the car up.....

He bought four of these, but they were on sale for half price.....

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb-capacity-vehicle-positioning-wheel-dolly-62234.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Dan, how do the new castors slide?  What reduces the friction?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

They have ball bearings on each one.  We discussed how to improve them just a hair.  Right now they have 3 bearings per, and it may be better to have 2 directly down from the wheel studs.  As it is now the 3rd one may or may not take much load depending on camber, and 2 would eliminate some drag when rolling.  I do like them a good bit as is too.  Easy lugging your vat around.

94touring

Did up my water/meth injection today.  Fabbed up a mount for the reservoir and then it was a matter of running wires and hoses every where.  Started tuning and I'm still pulling fuel out. Started off so rich it would fall flat on it's face.  Anything richer tjan 10:5 and it's not happy. Currently hanging in the mid to high 10s and trying to keep boost steady at 20psi. Having some fluctuation issues.  Either way it's fast and loud.   Oh and it's 60cc direct to the turbo and 625cc on the elbow.

94touring

Back to my day job today, which means sitting around drinking coffee pondering car stuff.  Inevitably this means I buy things. Trying a new set of springs on the rx7 to go along with the adjustable front shocks I've neglected to buy since doing the rears over a year ago. My rubber shock mounts were worn on thr rear and I replaced those, now the fronts are and getting replaced. Also ditching this electric boost controller I've grown to hate and going to try to manually control the wastegate to see if I can get some consistency.

94touring

Manual boost controller installed. Took me awhile to get it hooked up properly, as there were no instructions and online diagrams were not consistent. Boost seems to be steady now. Only gripe is it's sensitive between the clicks on the controller knob. 4 clicks in is 18/19 psi, but click 5 hits 23psi.  Does have an allen key to lock the knob so maybe I can fine tune between the clicks.  I wouldn't mind running 23psi but I hit fuel cut, or it floods out or something. Happens too quick for me to see what my air/fuel is. 

Otherwise started laying carpet in a car and got new visors to go with the new headliner.

MiniDave

That went in well!

How do you ever get all the body dust out of one of these when it's done - one that you don't take all the way to bare metal top and bottom and put on the rotisserie?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I just end up doing a thorough cleaning at the end.  His dash is filthy and I'm sure the seats that go back in are too.   

Merlin

Is your boost knob a potentiometer a multi position switch? If it was a the first, we could put in a trim pot to adjust pressure between positions.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

It's a spring and ball mechanical unit.  I found a diagram from the maker of my wastegate with way they say route lines.  So tomorrow will try it out.

Merlin

Right, MECHANICAL. Missed that bit.

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Shock, spring, and bumpstop day. Old bump stops were non existent.

94touring

Also put on the sway bars. These springs are stiffer than what came off, plus the adjustable shocks tighten it up. With the new bump stops it actually rides smoother though.

LilDrunkenSmurf

Just an FYI, I'm totally in love with your FD. It's one of my all time favourite cars, and extremely hard to find LHD in Canada these days.

RHD versions are a dime a dozen up here, but still cost >$15k CAD. I saw a bone stock LHD go for >$40k.

94touring

They are becoming hard to find here too, at least for one that's in good shape.  Prices just keep going up on them too.  Going to try to get an alignment today after I fiddle with a few things from yesterday. 

gr8kornholio

Yea I think the latest low mileage example on BaT went for 32K or so.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Finally fixed the boost problem.  The diaphram wasn't torn, but two of the four tiny hex screws that hold the diaphram body to the plunger had worked themselves off. This allowed a leak, which in turn caused crazy boost. Probably why my engine blew to begin with. 

MiniDave

OK, problem found and corrected.....time to do some tuning and driving.  62.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I made easily 30 pulls after fixing this. I have 10psi to 19psi tuned pretty nicely. Going to put in the bigger nozzle pre turbo and do 19-23 psi tomorrow. 19 is when the pre turbo nozzle kicks in.  I hooked the electric boost controller back up and debating what low boost to go with. 

94touring

MiniDave

That car is about ready to go home....... 4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

After he saw the pics he decided may as well add new door cards, so ordering those now.