My various projects thread.

Started by 94touring, July 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

The rx7 is getting ready to get it's hair did. 

gr8kornholio

Face lift... check.  New hair do.... check  Fast RED car.... check   Midlife crisis here I come!  ;D
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Few minor blemishes to smooth away.

94touring

Came out most excellent.  Can't wait to go for a drive.

MiniDave

oooooooooh.........shiny!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Best part of this whole ordeal, aside from getting to buy parts with the insurance payout, was being able to fix a few previous dings that drove me nuts.  No more rock chips either!

BruceK

Looks great.   

Quote from: 94touring on May 29, 2017, 02:48:27 PM
No more rock chips either!

Now you've just jinxed yourself.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah, but if it does get chipped up, he knows a cheap body shop..... ;D

BTW, one of the local Mini guys needs some work done on his 94 SPi, how far out are you scheduling work now. I think the rust is minimal, mostly I think he just wants it cleaned up and painted pretty again.

Some pics of the worst areas..

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Anywhere it's cracking like that means it needs stripped.  The front end looks questionable too.  I'm backed up till at least end of summer. 

MiniDave

I know you'll need to see it to give a good idea of what all it will take, I just wanted to show you the worst areas, most of it is straight and rust free. A winter project would probably work well for them, but I will have them contact you if/when they want to go ahead with it. They've had quotes from a couple of local shops but I told them to just bring it to you.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm pretty happy with it  4.gif

94touring

Bruce dropped his car off for me to have a look at a few areas of concern. So far there's this.

BruceK

Yeah. More than a little pissed off about that since I was assured the had solid metal and no bondo. Hell, they stripped it down to bare metal before the painting - not that they could miss that. Now i see sombody took the time to mould fake panel seams into the bondo.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

That is so terrible.  Like I express to others, whatever happened to an honest days work?  An honest dollar, your word meaning something.  When did we become a civilization of who can screw who over the most.  8.gif

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

A new experiment when I did my rx7 was trying a clear blender.  I decided to try this stuff because when my A pillar was dented, it would require I paint the entire main body to avoid getting a clear coat line.  Figured it was worth a shot.  It was easy enough to use, requiring you spray it over your clear line each clear coat application. I simply masked off and moved the line back a hair each time.  The results on the A pillar were perfect. As luck, or bad luck would have it, yesterday buffing the one fender my pad flew off the buffer and the velcro base instantly took a big gouge out of my new paint.  Usually this would mean masking off the fender and just reshooting it.  I decided to try the blender again as an experiment.  I sanded down the gouged area, to my surprise it didn't dig into the paint.  This means all that's needed is a clear application.  In the photo you can still catch a glimpse of scratch even after I hit it with 600 grit.  I used my air brush and gave it a few coats of clear to build it back up, using the blender each time. Came back this morning and color sanded and buffed and there's zero trace of anything. 

jeff10049

Looks perfect.

That stuff is great axalta bought imron Im glad they kept that around, u pol also has one that is good.

We used to do it with straight reducer in another gun it worked but not as well as the blending solvent. The blending stuff seems to be relly hot and melt it right in.

The other way is to 1000 sand the clear prep area and then spray a back mask soft clear line then sand that edge down right away while soft, let it dry another few days then 1500 grit the edge then buff it will disappear but you need to have enough factory clear on it for this method.

we blend the shit out of clear because what else do you do on a 45 foot motor home side wall it's not feasible to paint the whole side.

94touring

It's definetly a good product to have on the shelf.

Here's some Bruce pics.  I had a little time yesterday to dig further.  He also sent pics of the build which helped give me an idea as well.  This right wing had a ton of filler around the front. After digging in I'm not entirely sure why.  Aside from the one hole I found on the initial dig, the base metal was all there, just a bit rough looking.  Almost all the spot welds were broken as well.  Since the wing overall was in great shape and I had a front section of new wing on the shelf, I went ahead and grafted in a section. 

gr8kornholio

Poor Emma has a black eye!  I'm sure she will heal and Dan will have her looking perfect again. 

That RX7.... Sweet looking!

MiniDave

Could all the broken spotwelds have something to do with why it won't line up properly with the subframe?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 06, 2017, 07:19:38 AM
Could all the broken spotwelds have something to do with why it won't line up properly with the subframe?

That is exactly what I asked.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Actually no, those didn't effect anything.  I was able to shift the front end over about the quarter inch it needed to move to line the holes up.  Had to get creative, but it's as close as it's going to get.  Should have taken a before photo, but it really wasn't lined up at all.  Bruce must have had a hell of a time getting those half inch bolts through.

BruceK

I sure did!   Took many, many cuss words. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Had some time to finish the welds and grind it all down.