Audi Allroad

Started by MiniDave, August 01, 2020, 02:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

I feel your pain on tires, I priced new one's for my 3/4 ton truck. 20" A/T E to F load range will just about give you a stroke.

MiniDave

Yes, I'm used to buying 10's and 13's!   :grin:
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, we did about a 300 mile drive yesterday on the new tires and a couple of notable things - they got the balance spot on.....mind you I didn't drive over 80 but anything below that was smooth as can be. Also not only are these about the quietest tires I've ever driven, they also are quite a bit smoother than the Falkens we took off.

All in all I give them 3 snaps up in a circle!

Continental DWS+ in case I didn't say it before.

Now I'm seriously considering changing out the tires on my MINI, which are a long ways from being worn out but so noisy I was ready to buy new ones the day I got home from Indy. 8 hours of that noise about drove me nuts. They're also not very good on wet roads......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 30, 2023, 11:49:27 PMNow I'm seriously considering changing out the tires on my MINI, which are a long ways from being worn out but so noisy I was ready to buy new ones the day I got home from Indy. 8 hours of that noise about drove me nuts. They're also not very good on wet roads......

I put new tires on my R53 MINI a few months back. I only put about 4K miles on that car each year these days, so I decided to go with a no-name tire from Discount Tire rather than spending big bucks on a name brand tire only to have them age out before they wear out.  So, I went with a set of Discount Tire in-house brand Road Hugger tires which are made by Kumho and Nitto.  I like them, and I have no complaints.  They grip well in the dry and also in the wet.  The ride and handling are fine too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Speaking of Allroads......when we bought our current car it was right after the pandemic set in hard - 1st of July 2020 and we had been casually looking to replace our 2004 A6 Allroad when the bride stumbled onto this car which we decided was a pretty good deal so we went down and just bought it outright. It has been a perfect car so far, no issues at all and so far I've put tires on it and changed the oil - once. We bought it with 69K on it and it now has 79K - 4 years later!

I frequent BaT and have been considering replacing my 2009 MINI Clubman and saw a really nice low mile 2013 Clubby on there and bid on it, but it went for way more $$$$ than I expected (typical BaT) and way more than I felt it was worth - $20K!   https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-mini-cooper-clubman-jcw/

2 weeks later I spot a really nice low mile 2015 (47k) A4 Allroad, the twin to our car but white exterior instead of black and a year newer.....I watched the auction all week and the price was staying low so I decided to see where the money might wind up.....however I was out of town on the final day of the auction so I set the bride up with my laptop opened to the BaT page.

I forgot about it till it was just about to close and hurriedly looked at it on my phone - I texted the bride and asked if she was bidding and she said she was waiting for the price to go up more (?????) I said bid, right now! She attempted to bid but the site said our CC info was no good and I couldn't get it corrected in the last 1 min of the bidding. It went for a price we would have happily paid as it was a really nice 2 owner car.......when I got home I looked at my settings and for some reason it had a really old CC in my info - which is very strange as it accepted my bids on the Clubby 2 weeks before.

Bottom line, I think we missed out on a rare thing, a good deal on BaT!   https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-audi-allroad-3/

We've been looking online since and haven't found anything even close to what we might have been able to buy that one for, of course had we entered the bidding the other guy might have gone way higher than what we would have spent....no way to know for sure where it might have wound up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad