CV Boot need replacing

Started by ADRay, July 18, 2016, 04:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Hi, my passenger side cv boot is damaged (grease everywhere) and needs replacing. I have a few questions though.

I have a new boot already (in the box o' parts that came with the car), but I'm curious if I need a special and certain type of bands to clip it on.

also, if I'm tearing that deep into the suspension, what other parts should I replace while I'm at it?

Thanks.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

hoo boy, seems like you either do it all or none of it --- if you don't have any torn boots on the ball joints or looseness in same, I'd leave it alone and just change the CV boot. For clips I just use zip ties, however someone else posted a link on here to some that work better as the clip doesn't stick up when you pull it tight - hope they chime in again as I've forgotten what they were called......most of the CV boot kits come with new metal clips but I haven't had a lot of luck with the metal ones and I even have the special pliers to squeeze them with. The last two I did I got so frustrated with the metal ones I used SS safety wire, about 6 wraps and twist the end and fold it over - worked perfectly.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I also have never been good enough to get the metal clips to work and use zip ties.

MiniDave

Them's the ones, I need to order some in....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

thanks everyone - I was thinking/ hoping I wouldn't need to order some special bands from England.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MtyMous

I use the metal ties. They are a bit more difficult to get right the first time, but they are a lot stronger, they don't dry rot and fall off after a while, and they seem to cut into the boot a lot less.

But they are a pain in the ass. lol.

MiniDave

You don't have to tighten them that hard, just snug enough to not come off and tight enough to make good contact between the boot and the CV....and if you do need to replace them, they're easy to cut off and put a new one back on.

Metal clamps are none of these things. But I would probably use them if I could get them to work!

BTW, I haven't had a zip tie on a CV dry rot - ever....I think it's because they're not out in the sunshine, I think that's what causes them to fail.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I've had zip ties get brittle, but that's probably because I only use the absolute finest Harbor Freight zips. lol. The right tool for metal zip ties makes all the difference. That and prepping your metal zips. You've gotta pry up the little teeth on some of them so they'll engage.

MiniDave

I have the very expensive set of special pliers that squeezes the center part to tighten the band while pressing down on the top of the center section - I get about 1 in 4 to work properly. At $1-3 each it get's spendy in a hurry compared to a few ¢¢¢ for a zippy......

Yeah HF zip ties are def not the best quality - I use the kind the phone company uses - they're UV rated and don't break fer nuttin.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Yeah. we used to buy the really nice UV resistant and extra supery dooper zip ties for work, but how do you pass up 250 zip ties for $7? haha.

The metal zip ties can be had for relatively cheap if you buy in bulk. I buy a few in bulk every few years and that's enough.

Sorry. I think I derailed the convo. So my recommendation for this would be, if the axles are coming out and everything, I'd probably take the chance to at least re-pack if not replace the bearings and if the knuckles are off check the ball joints. Pretty much check and repack anything that moves or has grease in it. lol.

jeff10049

Them flat zips are cool I need to order some coulda used those many a times when the stick up part was a problem or just looked bad.

I also use zips on boots half the car ones I order come with them now even seen a few oem's using them on shaft boots the last few years.

Mty, I don't  know how a guy like you puts up with the harbor SOB's  I tried some once, reach way up in the frame rail get it threaded around all the shit you wanna tie up get it started pull and Snap! it breaks fu zip tie after a few of those never again threw em in the trash. 

They used to come with a metal style clamp that you wound up the loose end of the band that had about two wraps around the cv, it went into a tool that you cranked it down with and folded it over then bent a couple tabs down to hold it they worked really good now they're mostly the stupid squeeze type.

Hear is a pic of the metal ones that I like looks like you can still get em. seem popular with atvs

MtyMous

That looks awesome. I'd definitely like that better than my setup. I do own some high quality Zip Ties, but I rarely use them. Most things I zip tie are unimportant or temporary. Last time I used one of my high quality ties was when I was doing some wire management on the pickup. But even then it wasn't really critical. I'm just a strange one.

towjoe

Dave ,
I think you would like these............
From Amazon:
ACT AL-14-50-LP-0-C Cobra Low Profile Cable Ties, 50lb, 14-Inch, UV Black, Pack of 100
by ACT
Be the first to review this item 
Price:   $17.66 & FREE Shipping
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

Thanks Joe, those were the exact ones I was looking at!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad