Author Topic: Mini Ecoboost Project  (Read 16604 times)

Offline MiniDave

Re: Mini Ecoboost Project
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »
I don't think it will fit, unless you use different ancillaries - plus the intercooler is a problem. The 1L Eco that I saw done in front was in a Clubman, and it just barely fit....but I think a lot of that had to do with how he ran all the piping, and he used a huge front mounted intercooler. Says it runs like a beast tho! He also used the 5 speed gear box, and said the 6 speed was bigger and might not fit.

I'm thinking I really need to get one of these up on a rack so I can look it over and take some measurements.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline Dmulder

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
Dave - I was talking to a friend about your ecu issues with the 1 litre Eco boost.  He suggested that you look at a company called MegaSquirt.  You can buy and program your own ecu. Just a suggestion.

Devin
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
Thanks Devin, I'm well familiar with Megasquirt......and quite a few others....there is in fact one company that builds an ECU specifically for the 1L Eco motor complete with harness, but manual trans only and no plans to do an autobox version (spendy too, almost $2k!) - and I really wanted to do an automatic.

None of the aftermarket ECU's will run an autobox for that matter....

Ford is now offering an ECU for this motor also, but again - it only runs the motor.

I'm now back to the planning stage - either I have to engineer a manual shift linkage and make it a stick, or go with a different motor - probably Honda - where there's plenty of aftermarket support. 
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
Say no to the Honda Dave! Ford has the turbo thing figured out, my Focus ST is a hoot! I probably should have waited for the RS maybe next year.....

Offline Merlin

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
What about using a standalone controller and making it work with the trans? I couldn't image that the transmission would be more difficult to control over any other transmission. They all have solenoids that controls line pressure and shifting.

It would be a little bit of an experiment though and would require some programming, so it would involve you installing the engine and hoping that  you can get the controller to work.

Engineering the Impossible

Offline jeff10049

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2016, 12:23:55 AM »
Good thought Merlin,
 But not on this car  I'm pretty sure all the autos in these are actually dual clutch manuals and no one is making stand-alone controllers that I know of. Even the ford  factory TCM works poorly compared to other makes with dual clutch autos  Ford sorta failed on the dual clutch manuals that work like automatics they call it the power shift or select shift.

Owners of them call it the power maybe, someday, later, eventually, nevermind, forget about it, to late, shift. 

Maybe they offer a conventional auto but I have yet to see one they changed the name and ratios but from the reviews, I read it's still a poorly working dual clutch.

If a conventional auto is available then yes I think a stand alone controller could be made to work.

Jeff

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2016, 06:32:03 PM »
Well, this project is not dead, I'm still thinking/planning but I've been spending all my free time lately wrenching on and driving the racing green Mini......

I'm almost to the point of just building a D Series Vtec and calling it good, after all they're readily available and software support is all over. Of course, it will have to be a stick if I do......and while I'd prefer a modern 6 speed auto box, I can live with it.

I'll be changing out the diff for my buddy with the Vtec pickup this winter, so I'll get a good feel for the work and what ratio to use once his is done.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline 94touring

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2016, 07:23:56 AM »
That's definitely the easy way.  Would you buy a kit and just bolt it in and go, or fab your own subframe?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2016, 07:57:29 AM »
I really want to build a B series, but the cost of the subframe is holding me back.

Offline roadhouse

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
The minitec kits look super nice... lots of options

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
I will build my own subframe, but I might use their axles and ECU if I go D series Vtec.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline jeff10049

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2016, 11:06:33 PM »
Iffen yer gonna do a stick shift why not stay eco boost? don't go to the dark side  do something different  ;D. Or if you go honda mount it longitudinal and feed one axel to a front diff and one to a rear diff for AWD.