The Brexit and you - Making a list checking it twice.

Started by Jims5543, June 24, 2016, 05:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

I have to be honest, I was not watching the Brexit vote very closely until about 2 days ago when it dawned on my that it could actually pass and this might be an opportunity to buy parts for my car.  LOL!!

Hey, we have to find the silver lining somewhere.

I feel this will be good for GB long term, I think they are going to take some lumps over the next few years as a result of exiting though.

Back to what is important, car parts!!  The pound dropped slightly yesterday and I am watching it today, may have to make a decent order with Spares soon.

Of course, market instability causes gold and silver to rise so it is a 2 edged sword for sure.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Went down to 1.35 last night.  The experts say it shouldn't go mmuch lower but maybe 1.20.  I'm watching it cclosely too since I buy so much!  Might need to order more now than expected.

stan360

I am expanding my minispares list and adding some spares for the future.

Jims5543

Yeah, I am thinking of ordering a lot of the engine rebuild items I am going to need.  I think the Truck has everything it needs right now.

I bet the Mini parts world sees a huge increase in orders.

Last month when I was at Universal there was a ton of Brits there on vacation, I asked if it was a holiday there to a fellow sitting on a bench with me. He told me everyone was enjoying the good exchange rate while it lasted.  Good call.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jedduh01

Have a shopping cart loaded with 1 supplier ==  8AM this morning 475$
  10:30Am - 471 $

Hit buy now or wait!????

94touring

My cart from this week is down $75.  Course had I known all this, last weeks order could have waited  50.gif

jedduh01

Totally! I keep thinking and adding 'Spares" to my shopping car t so as a whole its growing.

Clutch masters for 52 USD$   why not have around - along with Slaves + other "consumable items... 2 mni's in the garage + multiples in the charlotte area I help Look after - nows the time!

choices choices. ...

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on June 24, 2016, 08:34:10 AM
My cart from this week is down $75.  Course had I known all this, last weeks order could have waited  50.gif
Same here, regret purchasing the coil overs 3 weeks ago when I could have done it today.

So many parts I could have saved on I spent a lot of money lately.

About to spend more too.  Gonna pull the trigger tonight, hope it does not rebound over the weekend.

Dan, I think you are right, it will probably hover around 1.20-1.40 for a little bit.  1.30 is a good deal right now.  I wonder if it will go lower next week?

94touring

Yeah not sure.  Holding steady around 135 today and projected to hover around there for 3 months...so I guess I won't be too hasty but if it dips into the 120s I'm buying more now rather than later.  My crate of panels in the coming months may work out nicely too.

jedduh01

For us mini parts buyers its a good thing!   Hit my order on Friday = Per Mini Spares site- it was going to be 600.** USD

Invoiced + Shipped Today - to my CC $589

Mini spares also does a 7.5% discount to Miniforum contributors- so that also brought the rate down, but hey  - 2 weeks ago this shopping cart was creeping at 700+ and that why I didn't hit BUY at that time.

94touring

Quote from: jedduh01 on June 27, 2016, 10:31:03 AM
For us mini parts buyers its a good thing!   Hit my order on Friday = Per Mini Spares site- it was going to be 600.** USD

Invoiced + Shipped Today - to my CC $589

Mini spares also does a 7.5% discount to Miniforum contributors- so that also brought the rate down, but hey  - 2 weeks ago this shopping cart was creeping at 700+ and that why I didn't hit BUY at that time.

miniforum contributors??

94touring

roadhouse

I was in the same boat and wasn't following very closely until I realized what was going on with the value of the pound. I couldn't let the opportunity pass and placed an order for a R1 swap kit from Lynx Racing.  77.gif

94touring

John Gervais

No promotion code, go into your MSC account (My MiniSpares) and indicate via the 'club box' what you're a member of.

The items I've been meaning to order from MSC are out of stock and on my 'Watch List'.  Clutch arms, for example.  I've broken a few lately, can't seem to figure out why.  My 'Saved Basket' is huge, but I won't be ordering anything until one or two of my watched items are in stock.  I use the saved list mostly for service items that I can never seem to find when I need them.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Do you have the two big nuts set correctly? I take off the return spring and set the stop bolt for 20 thou clearance, then  I just fit an 1/8" drill bit in the space and bring the inner nut up to it, then tighten the locknut..... seems to work perfectly.....and I've never broken a clutch arm.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hmm entered in tmf+ but seeing no discount on checkout.

John Gervais

They normally give the discounts after your order has been processed.  At least that's where I notice mine, when I open the box and look at the packing slip.  You'll notice that you probably haven't been billed for shipping either - I always write 'Hello, it's warm outside/happy holidays etc. as appropriate and that I'm a member of this or that and thank you' in the comment box upon checkout.
- Pave the Bay -

jedduh01

Of course - its the Brits- and not that simple

Please see this thread on TMF -
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/313635-subsciptions/?hl=%2Bmini+%2Bspares+%2Bdiscount#entry3365988

Post number 5

Homey Admin can give you the TMF Member Number.

Then. as post says - Shoot a message to Simon at Mini spares to link it up.

""You need to pm me and I will issue you with your membership number.

You may or may not be asked for your membership number when ordering parts. Anything through Minispares you need to contact simon@minispares on here to set up your account. ""

I beleve when Mr Simon checks the Discount to your Minispares account you will be done and done.  And yes-  the 7.5% shows up on the final inovice...

As seen on my invoice.

GMC1008
CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER PLASTIC BODY
£ 35.08   (7.5% discount included)

94touring

Ah excellent.  Just shot him a pm and will contact Simon.  I might just see what kinda discount I can get for being restoration mini and if I can get some kind of membership deal for us.

John Gervais

That would be nice -

I just placed an order at MiniSpares, Demon Tweeks and Somerford Minis -

It seems that pre-verto clutch arms are pretty much unobtainable at the moment, so I called KC and chatted with him about Brexit and the clutch arms.  It appears that MSC is looking for a new supplier for the clutch arms in the hope of finding a quality-oriented manufacturer.  Too many problems with the ball end breaking off.  So, after speaking with KC, I ordered a C-22A2204 performance arm, as it's possibly going to outlast the car itself.  That, along with a clutch bearing, a few oil filters, clevis pins, carb & thermostat gaskets and other small bits, I ran up a decent bill.

- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Yeah found that today so will wait till then.  I need to wait till the middle of the month anyways.   

jedduh01

The British pound keeps dropping.
  £1.34 - 1 usd  last week when i purchased
   £ 1.30  checked yesterday
     £ 1.29 today - and other news reports keep reporting sale + no driect sight of recovery yet.

Master Cyl - Paid last week $52 USD / now $49.10  USD
10' Falken tires are 46.62 Each !!! 

I already spent 500$ - i might spend another 300!! save the UK!

Jims5543

LOL!! My procrastination pays off for a change.

God save the Queen!!