Headlights - possible to convert to full time running?

Started by ADRay, May 19, 2016, 08:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

after leaving my headlights on more than once lately, I was wondering if there is a way to wire the headlights to turn on only when the engine is running? I would still want a switch.

or maybe a buzzer that will sound when I leave the lights on after I cut the engine?

thanks
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

Both are doable, I'd think the relay to only let them be on with the ignition would be easiest.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

DS1980

Agreed,
If you run a relay from the switched side of your fusebox, they will switch off with the ignition. Pretty good idea considering the size of cars these days.
Would you run separate lights or use your existing?

ADRay

switched side of the fuse box meaning inline between the fuse box and the headlight switch?

I'm only looking into doing the headlights (no aux lights)
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

LilDrunkenSmurf

Essentially get a relay that uses the ignition as a switching signal, and then put it inline with the headlight wiring. That way you still need to turn the headlights on, but they'll only be on while the car is running. That being said, you won't be able to turn them on without having the car running. (You could use the accessory power instead of ignition to they key only has to be on vs running).

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998