Vikram's 1960

Started by 94touring, May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

My cruise tune was lean and had flat spots when Bruce drove it too.  Also, rather than shoot for 100 to the wheels, I took enough weight off to give me a close equivalent in hp to weight ratio.

94touring

Quote from: Vikram on February 19, 2019, 01:02:50 PM
Didn't the original 1275 cooper s cars run to 8500?

Crank ponies too.

1964–71 Austin/Morris Mini Cooper S, 76 hp (57 kW) at 5800 rpm and 79 lb⋅ft (107 N⋅m) at 3000 rpm

Vikram

The power to weight ratio is what its all about, and you've cut a ton of weight.

Reason why I'm adamant about high rpm is because on normal 5 ports the valve  springs and push rods are major limiting factors. The K head removes this issue, that coupled with shorter bore/stroke ratio and ITBs it should get up there.

John from SC believes that 1071 on a K1100 head should hit 8500rpm comfortably. I would very much like to believe him.

MiniDave

You're planning to spend about £7-10K on this?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Its all talk right now.

But I was hoping to keep it closer to 6k

94touring

Quote from: Vikram on February 20, 2019, 11:56:57 AM
Its all talk right now.

But I was hoping to keep it closer to 6k

I read some info on that head today.  Certainly all doable, including 8500rpms, provided the bottom end end tranny is built up and power levels are not to an absurd level. Reliability still suffers though.  I think price wise you're looking at a small fortune to do it properly though.  Doing my engine myself (Dave) I was in it for thousands and thousands. The S motor in the shop was at 10k built professionally. 

Vikram

Yes it's certainly not cheap. But the building a good engine never is.

It all comes down to if I can find a well priced engine builder or whether SC do it all, which is very pricey.

Vikram

Long time, no post. But lots of progress.

The car is braced and the new floor is going in. Its just in position in the pictures for a test fit. A lovely single piece panel from M-Machine, special 59/60 floor with no inner sills.

The Custom Cages 6 point weld in Mini Historic cage has arrived, and will be going in soon. Its T45 and about 30kg.

Also the advice everyone gave me was correct. The engine build option turned out to be far too expensive, so that venture never began. I sold my short engine for what I bought it for, so no harm done but a lesson learnt.

I'm going for the engine swap option now, and I considered all the options for several months. Rover, red top, vtech were all options but I didn't want to cut the inner wings and I wanted something a little different. Instead, I'm going for the R1 conversion with a kit from Pro-Motive. They are local to me, so I got the chance to visit them and talk in detail. I dropped my subframe off for modification last week, and it will be another 6 weeks before that is done.

The considerable weight saving will offset the cage and more. The light engine will allow me to keep the 10in wheels, with some nice 4 pot brakes. The quaife ATB lsd should fight torque steer, and its a very simple and tidy conversion with no body mods. I've attached a picture of one of the kits they had when I visited, it's not mine.

There is an existing 1960 R1 build thread on here but was not finished, hopefully the car was! That uses the alternative lynx AE kit.

Hopefully a lot more to come.

MiniDave

Wow, the floors look great!

Can't wait to hear the R1 fire up!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad