Vikram's 1960

Started by 94touring, May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

It pretty much has to be what jeff posted.  The threaded object must be tight enough that coolant doesn't seap out.

jeff10049

yes what i posted is what you need and fairly common 3/8 npt male is basically 5/8 18 with a taper, the other end is 5/8 18 and will accept the sender.

Vikram

Quote from: jeff10049 on August 21, 2016, 12:08:24 PM
yes what i posted is what you need and fairly common 3/8 npt male is basically 5/8 18 with a taper, the other end is 5/8 18 and will accept the sender.

Ohhh. Didn't know that.
Thank you

jeff10049

you could also get a 3/8 close nipple and a 3/8 female union at about any hardware store and see how well the union accepts the sender. That way you don't have to order something

Also I'll get the horn wire pics up today

jeff10049

ok no real need for pics I ohm'ed out my horn wires the brown with green trace at the horn goes to the bottom fuse of the fuse block. The brown with black trace at the horn goes to the horn button.  Also brown black at the stalk.

Vikram

Thanks Jeff.
So I went to Napa to see if I could get a fitting. They didn't have anything that would work, the 3/8npt would start, but wouldn't thread.
However Dan had a bunch of fittings in a bucket, and I found one with a female 5/8 end that I took to the store. While I was there, I though of just cutting off the end, and having a small spacer with a 5/8 thread.
So that's what I did. Seems to work. All its doing is just moving the sender out far enough so that it can be torqued down without hitting that wall. It still grounds on the block.
Will this work?

Vikram

Well that's all from me, I leave tomorrow late morning.
Got the new starter in, engine now cranks nicely. So I think that's the wiring done.
New rear hubs and bearings on too, along with the spaced drum.
Picked up the new wheels from powder coating and got the tyres mounted.
Dan will bring it from 90% to 95% so that it's running and aligned. I'll trailer it back, and finish off the last few bits. Just in time for winter!
Anyway, it's been an awesome experience. I've learnt more in three months that two years at college.
Thank you to all you guys on the forum, your help has been invaluable. Everyone who I've met in person, Justin, Dave, Stan you've been really welcoming to the community.
This is by by far the best forum out there.
Last but not least, thanks Dan. Thanks for the opportunity,all your help and expertise, it's been amazing.
I guess minimania did one good thing in bring me here.

John Gervais

I haven't been particularly active in your build, but have checked your progress regularly.  To say that I'm impressed wouldn't do you justice; I'm really impressed. 

Even though Dan will do some of the finishing work on it is no reason for you to leave.  You'll own the car for a while, right?  You've made some friends, right?  Well, since you've already established a login and the server already has some uploaded pics, you might as well stay.  The internet can help bridge geographic gaps.

Keep participating within 'our' community - socially or advisory, I'm pretty sure you'll be welcomed.
- Pave the Bay -

Vikram

Oh I have no intention of leaving, and I see my self owning the car for a long time. I just won't be local anymore.
That being said, if anyone does end up in my neck of the woods let me know! We can grab a drink, I'll be 21 by then lol

94touring

I'm glad you had the opportunity to come out and literally build your car.  It's been a pleasure!  You'll have a cool story to take with you for the rest of your life.

MPlayle

It has indeed been impressive to watch your progress!

The "community" on this forum is widely dispersed as well - all across the USA and into Europe as well.  You are in good company and always a member in the community.  Keep us posted on the progress even when you get your Mini back home.

Have a safe journey home!   77.gif

MiniDave

He's only going back to Michigan!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Best of luck at school and finishing the build Vikram.  You accomplished quite a bit in a short amount of time.  There is always next summer, maybe you can build  another mini project then  .  ;D

Vikram

Thank you for the kind words. I'm hoping to get it on the road by the end of the year, but probably actually drive it next year to avoid the snow.

jeff10049

Yea that should work maybe a copper washer between it and the block at some point. But if its sealed it's sealed leave it be.

Or run a 3/8 npt tap in the head at some point if needed for more thread engagment and buy a thing like I posted. But again if it's working I'd leave it be.

It's been fun watching the progress you got more done while at Dans than I did in 5 years.

Jeff

Dmulder

Vikram, where will you be located in Michigan?  I'm on the Lake Michigan coast and there are at least 2 and I believe 3 classic minis in my local area.  I don't drink but it might be fun to meet up some time.
September 9th I will be running the Press On Regardless TSD rally in upper Michigan with my classic mini.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Tim

I'm across the border into Ontario.  If you ever want a slightly longer drive (to north of Toronto  71.gif),  email and say you're comming!

Tim

Vikram

I'm not in Michigan haha, Dave's got it mixed up. I'm in Troy, near Albany in NY

MiniDave

Got the gauges today Vikram - thanks! Hope I can do something for you someday too.....

Sorry for the mixup, for some reason I thought you were going to school in Detroit or something........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Great! I think there's a Troy in Michigan too haha

MiniDave

Got Vikram's gauges installed and ........they all work! It's like they were meant to go in there or something..... :-)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Finally got this thing running.  After much fiddling with carbs, manifolds, linkages, cables, and a few other odds and ends.  Not too much more to go. 

94touring

I should add he's equipped with a specially designed throttle cable guide that feeds the cable through the firewall.  For whatever reason the left side of his car didnt have the little guide piece that the cable end fits into.  It was a pita. 

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on October 16, 2016, 03:46:35 AM
Finally got this thing running.  After much fiddling with carbs, manifolds, linkages, cables, and a few other odds and ends.  Not too much more to go.

Maybe he'll come back at Xmas to pick it up?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I think Hugh will be picking it up.  I'm excited to test drive it lol.