Vikram's 1960

Started by 94touring, May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vikram

Thought I'd update.
Been having issues with the starter, replaced the solenoid, ran through the wiring numerous times, still nothing. Pulled the starter apart when it wouldn't run with a direct power source. Found a melted wire in its heart. So, I'm not sure how this happened. It half cranked once and never again, I never tried it without a relay, following what everyone on the internet advised. I've since been using the wing mounted solenoid setup, as per the old car. I can only assume the wire was already damaged, and finally broke. Bad wiring would have blown the ignition switch, not an internal wire in the starter.
Anyway, got a replacement coming. Boot lid is pretty much prepped, doors too. Brake hoses are done too, and fuel tank is in.
I've done the stub stack mod as shown by Dan in the diy, and I'll drop the carbs in soon, along with the remaining gauges.
Monday will aim to start the engine, and finish rear wheel bearings.
I've run out of time, sadly. So Dan will finish what's left, and I'll either return for the car or trailer it back.

jeff10049

Bummer on running out of time and the starter. But man you did a hell of a lot in a short time i'm impressed. I did trace down my horn wires and take pics if you need? But im guessing thats the least of your worries right now.  It seems like Dan won't have too much to finish it up. All the major stuff is done right?

Vikram

Yes please Jeff pics would be good.
I'm trying to tap the water temp sender. It's a 5/8 tap which I bought, but the tap won't fit a standard tap wrench. Fastenal is the only one who stocks the wrench, for nearly $50. Additionally the drill bit required is a 37/64, and that, only stocked by fastenal is over $30.
Can I botch it for less using a 1/2 and an adjustable wrench?

Vikram

And yes, nearly all the major stuff is done. Should be running by the time I leave

MiniDave

Quote from: Vikram on August 19, 2016, 01:38:27 PM

I'm trying to tap the water temp sender. It's a 5/8 tap which I bought, but the tap won't fit a standard tap wrench. Fastenal is the only one who stocks the wrench, for nearly $50. Additionally the drill bit required is a 37/64, and that, only stocked by fastenal is over $30.
Can I botch it for less using a 1/2 and an adjustable wrench?

Yes, especially if you're going into aluminum.....is it 5/8 fine thread or a pipe thread? You need to know before you make a hole......just make sure you keep the tap square to the hole as you turn it. Don't let it wobble around. No square sockets in the tool box?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

It's nf-18, so fine.I was thinking of some sort of socket arrangement

MiniDave

The local hardware store will probably have square sockets.....that or it you have a Northern Tool nearby.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Well shit.
So 1/2 wasn't working, impossible to tap. Something in the back of my mind said just buy the 37/64, but I didn't. Had to go out again to try and buy it, and of course fastenal was closed. Got a 9/16 instead, and it tapped, with a bit of effort.
The blank for the temp sender is decently sized, so it should go right in the middle. So I put the pilot hole in a region with plenty of meat around it. Of course, when I upped the size, the larger hole got a lot closer to the walls. But it's a temp sender, no stress on it.
I assume there should have been empty space that you drill into if located properly, but since mine was lower there was a wall at the back for the bottom half of the hole.
No biggie, whatever, tapped it. Can't tap all the way because tap hits that wall after a certain depth. But I've got a lot of turns on it, plenty of thread.
Time to install the sensor, tighten it up,feels good. Meet resistance as it gets tighter. Hey keep going!
Resistance eases up, must have been debris. Remove sender to check, sender is in two pieces. I tightened it too hard against the wall, and broke it. Now I need another sender.
My genius amazes me sometimes  50.gif

94touring

Do you have pics of where you drilled?

Vikram

Same place as on red car. Hope it's right..

94touring

You drilled a little low on the spot for it, and sounds like you're hitting the bottom of the water jacket on the inside then?  The problem now is, without being able to properly torque down the sending unit, it will leak coolant.  And, it has to be torqued rather than having some kind of adhesive to stop the leak, because it must ground to the block.  So, you may have to get creative. 

Vikram

Yeah sounds right. I might be able to use a spacer to sort it out. Does them temp sender have to be mini specific? If not I'll try to find something local, that's shorter

94touring

It's mini specific to match that gauge. 

jeff10049

This will save you, the 3/8 npt will screw into the 5/8 18 and snug up since it's tapered.

http://cppdiesel.com/adapter-mechanical-temperature-5-8-18-unf-to-3-8-npt-aluminum/

Vikram

Awesome, I was thinking of something along those lines. I've got part numbers for the senders, will try and see if I can find one tomorrow

94touring

Yep that's what you need!

Vikram

Found the sender, will be at the parts store tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that it's going to be the same 5/8 thread, so I need to think of some sort of spacer. I can't find a compatible sender with a smaller thread

Vikram

Compared how my speedo cable was seated to the red car, decided to unscrew it and re fit it. As I did inspected the end the fitting came away in two pieces. I'm guessing it definitely shouldn't do this, damn it. I didn't apply any pressure or test it in any way and it even unscrewed easily from the block.
Can I crimp it or something?

Merlin

I would try crimping it with a vice. Thats how they are done during manufacture. Dont forget to put that stupid nut on though...

Engineering the Impossible

Vikram

There's a stupid nut?

MiniDave

Are there witness marks on the cable housing so you know where to crimp it? The amount sticking out is somewhat important....... he's talking about the one in your hand.

New cables are pretty cheap.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Yeah, I'd get a replacement, but I've already got it fitted in the dash end which was a pain, and it slows other stuff down.
I have another incorrect cable, that I can use as reference for the length

Vikram

Crimped it hard, not going anywhere. Properly screwed it in all the way. I had it at an angle previously

94touring

Good, I didn't want to install that lol.

Vikram

Picked up the sender, looks correct. It's a 5/8-18 thread, as before. So I need something that is a male 5/8 to female 5/8, might have to be two bushings. I suppose just a nut would work too. Couldn't find anything at the auto parts store or Lowe's. Napa was closed, so I'll try them first thing tomorrow, they're probably my best bet.
My wheels will also be done today (finally) so I'll pick them up and get the tyres fitted while I'm out tomorrow morning.