Vikram's 1960

Started by 94touring, May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vikram

I still have the old cut out perfectly intact. So we can reuse it as needed. Won't do any more cutting yet though

94touring

94touring

Got some more color on.

MiniDave

So, think it will be done in time for him to drive it back to Michigan to school next month?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

The paint will be, right?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yes, the body is pretty much ready to go.  The doors, boot, and bonnet need some tlc but they'll be done too.

Vikram

Hopefully.
This is a pretty big step. I can get subframes, engine, interior all in now.
Got a month and a few days to get it sorted. Not going to jinx it by saying anything though!

MtyMous

Awesome progress, man.

Vikram

Vikram

Updates from the last few days.
Front and rear subframes on, brake hard line connected.
Tie rods in, but I currently have a 1/4 bolt in the forked end since the one supplied didn't fit. The 1/4 is a bit loose, went to the hardware store but they didn't stock M7. What bolt size do you folks use?
Other than that, rebuilt the carbs with the kit. Picture doesn't show them completely assembled as I'm waiting for the backing paint to dry after a spot of paint. Was thinking of polishing them, but I quite like the patina look...if you can call it that!
Tidied up the interior and sprayed the inner walls and roof, and corrected a few oversprays.
Been on the fence about the carpet kit for a while, and so I came up with an alternative a few weeks ago. Loved it when I test fitted it, so no carpet for me!
Got the pedals covers on, master cylinders in and indicator stalk on.
Finished my dash too, very happy with the result.
Tomorrow I'll mask off the interior now that I'm happy with it, and sand the body ready for paint.
Don't think I have the budget for headliner and door cards, hence the paint. Interior is pretty much done, I like the stripped out/track look. Boy racer, like I said.
Wheels came in too. Couldn't resist a test fit. Dropping them off for blasting and powdercoating up in bartlesville, $50 a wheel isn't too bad.

Vikram

MiniDave

The only thing about the stripped out racecar look - it's loud in there!

Coming along well now.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Went to drop off the wheels for powdercoating, and a quick trip to the ATM.
Unfortunately on the way back, a hose came loose from a transmission line on Justin's truck that he's kindly been letting me use. Resulting in all the transmission fluid emptying out onto the motorway, leaving me stranded on the hard shoulder.
Justin came to the rescue and organised a ride for both the truck and me back to Dan's shop. Don't know if Justin even posts on here, but just wanted to share my appreciation.
Thanks Justin!
90% done with masking the car, just got the rear tubs to do early morning, and then paint.

Merlin

Sorry it broke on you. I have the part sitting on my bench at home. I am planning on being up there tomorrow to get it sorted and back on the road for you.

Hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Vikram pretty much did all the prep, so any screw ups are on him  ;D. Came out pretty good overall.

John Gervais

It looks really nice, but I've been quite curious as to why the rear seat and other 'hidden areas' on the interior (under the headliner, for example) are generally not painted when doing this sort of full-rebuild.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Red paint is expensive and he's on a budget. 

Vikram

No worries Justin, was a good experience.
Yeah, my prep work was a bit iffy, my masking job wasn't quite up to par, but it doesn't seem to have done any damage.
Love the result, doesn't look like a shed anymore.

John Gervais

I can appreciate that, but it's going to be hard to paint it later. 

I've seen it done all the time on those TV fix-it/flip-it-make-a-fortune-programs on Discovery Channel also - don't paint inside the boot, under the carpet or the roof interior - and then they don't even install a headliner. 
- Pave the Bay -

MtyMous

John, In my case I asked dan not to waste the time or the paint doing the entire interior because I'll be lining it all with sound deadening material and other means of coating the metal. No use having shiny paint in there. Just needed a sealer coat of primer.

Vikram

My case was a bit of both.
It's not worth putting down that paint, on areas such as those but at the same time I wanted them painted because I won't be running cards or headliner. I just used cans to paint those bits, and the results are pretty good, didn't go for the cheap ones this time.
Unless the volume is unbearably loud, I'll keep it stripped. I know the lcb will only make things louder, but I have a high tolerance thanks to a few months with the cut off wheel lol.

MiniDave

I know a number of people who wear ear plugs when they drive their Minis, especially on longer trips.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Yup, definitely going to get some

jeff10049