Vikram's 1960

Started by 94touring, May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Couple more pics from yesterday showing a grafted section out of the 60s parts shell I have and a new rear valance.  This car had been hit in the rear at some point and had a pretty beat up to non existent boot.  Have a small section of lip to fab in and it's good to go.

MiniDave

Who will get painted first, Stan's car or Vikrams?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Liable to be dualing paint jobs.  Plus parts of Justin's truck.  Tri paint jobs.

MiniDave

Vikram, you'll learn more about automotive engineering this summer than in years of classes!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

What color is Justin's truck gonna be? Let me guess........................

Black?   :D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Gunmetal grey...pretty much black!

Vikram

Yeah, I haven't learnt any real engineering at school haha, this is much more enjoyable.
Currently cutting out small rusted sections and patching them. Attached an example showing the evolution featuring frozen pizza.

MiniDave

ahhhh....I see you're using CAD......

(Cardboard Aided Design!  ;D)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

The guys from Project Binky taught me well

Vikram

Bodywork is nearly there. Will be touching it up with filler tomorrow where needed.
Stripped and cleaned the subframes today before painting them. Used rattle cans from tractor supply, unfortunately you get what you pay for and the nozzles were no good. Paint is far from perfect but it's just the subframe after all.

MiniDave

Nice painting jig, wish I'd had that when I did mine....the important part is to keep them from rusting (worse) and I'd say you accomplished that.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Wow, you're going to have 2 shells painted here real soon!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If it wasn't the weekend and 4th iI could get the rest of Stan's paint mixed.  But yes, both will be painted soon. 

Vikram

MiniDave

Dang, looks like a body shop!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I hope you guys are wearing some kind of good dust mask. Of course all that dust means progress.

94touring

He's learning how fun sanding for a week straight is.

Vikram

It really fills in the time.   :D
Sorry

Vikram

Got the roof painted.
Looks awesome, can see my reflection.
A fly decided to sit on a section at the rear, small blemish at the back to cut a long story short.
Very pleased with result, can finally start seeing what it will look like.

Vikram

Stuff from the past few days.
Got the roof covered, and nearly finished sanding the body.
Cut out the old shifter cut-out, fabricated and welded in a new plate to cover it up. A little filler over the welds to neaten it up, feels strong. This patch plate will be cut into to house the new rod change shifter.
Lastly, made up a dash moulding and wanted to get your opinions on it. I'll explain myself.
I did it for a number of reasons:
It will let me house a rev counter, next to the speedo
I can neatly and discreetly install a pair of 4" black speakers
Allows me to hide all the wiring.
Lastly I've always like the look of dashes like this! Will look like a works-ish/rally dash when done. Always been a boy racer!

A bit controversial, but the speedo will be moved to behind the steering wheel as opposed to the conventional position.

I'm happy with the fit, needs a fee tweaks though. It's held flush to the rails by three mounts that I built from the subframe reinforcer off cuts. They are secured to the dash by a bolt each from underneath. Interference fit to the dash so no fittings needed on the face.

Thoughts?

MiniDave

It's your car, anything you do to it will be just fine......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Wait....did you completely weld up the shifter hole, cause you need an opening in the center...

Vikram

Oops.
What do you mean? I thought we could just cut out a new area for the new shifter?

94touring

Well you can, but you had a perfectly good cutout that just needed relocated to the center...as in cut out the opening and weld it in the center, but you can just cut out a new hole now.  Take measurements off Stan's car before you cut.