Introduction - '74 Mini 1000, Blue Thunder in NM

Started by bryanp, May 12, 2016, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryanp

I am registered for the Meet and in at the Westin as well.  Something the reservations lady said made me think that I got the last King room. 

I actually struggled w/ the badging for this car - it came to me as a Mini 1000, but it's clearly not that anymore.  And I wasn't going stick a "Cooper S" on there when it isn't and never was.  I considered the "1275 GT" badge until I figured out that badge is actually for the Clubman.   I understand that the "specials" were for certain Mark III interior/accessory packages, but it seems to best fit my weird car.

MiniDave

Where did you get the third brake light? I saw another just like it today on Susan's car, only hers was silver instead of black.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

Moss - https://mossmotors.com/third-brake-light

Mine is actually silver as well - polished.   We made a bracket, so it doesn't puncture/fasten thru the deck covering.

bryanp

As you would expect on a "kit", some re-engineering of the supercharger installation has been required.  Even with the engine tilted as far forward as the adjustable steady and the radiator position would allow, the supercharger's belt was intermittently slapping the firewall on deceleration.   Even with the idler putting as much tension on the belt as practical, the slapping was still occurring and the (plastic) idler was really unhappy.   And the other problem was that, with the top of the engine so far forward, the top/leading edge of the Weber was fouling the bonnet . . . .

So we (that is, Darren) came up w/ the solution of making/attaching a bracket w/ two steel idlers from a Subaru that pull the belt in/away from the firewall.  this allowed the engine to be tilted back in a more normal position . . . and the bonnet is now well clear of the Weber!   

The previous owner installed the headliner not so well, and without installing the dome light or the visors.  As soon as that is re-done, it goes to the dyno shop, so I have some data behind the 1310 w/ the supercharger (since that will be the first question every time I pop the hood).  I really don't know what to expect.  I know that dyno data is pretty easy to manipulate, and the dyno is in Denver, so I don't know how much a test at over 5,200' elevation will handicap my numbers.  We'll find out!   

MiniDave

Can't wait to see this car in Aspen/Snowmass this summer!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Looks like a job well done, can't wait to see the dyno results

bryanp

The results are in - 99.4HP (I'm going to call it 100!) and 105ft-lbs at the wheels.  The test was run at Dyno-Pro in Denver. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

I took the blue Mini to the East Meets West gathering in Snowmass and had a great time (even if I did have to leave early so that I could work today)!  I met some great folks and finally got to meet Mini Dave with whom I have only ever interacted with on this forum.

The car ran well and did the Independence Pass twice - a total blast.  The only scary moment was when a Jeep coming west overcooked a corner while I was coming east (and therefore on the cliff-side) - everyone survived)  I discovered, however, that after about an hour of driving, the Corbeau Classic II Bucket seat cuts off the circulation in my lower right leg.  I believe that a combination of my longer legs (I'm about 5'-11, but high-waisted) causing my right leg to splay pretty far to the right, and the position of the pedals even further to the right on an LHD car, puts my right thigh going diagonally across the top of the fairly stiff side bolster on the Corbeau seat.  I did an informal survey w/ Mini Dave over the field of Minis present and will look for either a set of early Miata seats, or a pair from the 1999-2000 Minis, which appear to have plenty of lateral support from the waist-up, but with fairly flat seat bottoms.  The later Mini seat is the most attractive option, since it will presumably be compatible w/ mounting in a 1970's Mini. 

bryanp

Yes; they are the go-to dyno shop for Ax & Allies, which does a lot of classic Mini work and is only about 1/4 mile from Dyno-pro

MiniDave

So Bryan, have you found some seats yet?

The ones Mike Playle put in his Mini Marcos look like they might be a great solution, they look period and the seat bottoms are mostly flat. You will have to build some adaptors so they bolt up to the Mini seat locators, but that gives you the opportunity to set them exactly where you want them. When I did my Miata seats in Buzz I moved them just a little towards the inside, which allowed them to clear the companion bins in the rear and go all the way back till they touched the rear seat, plus they sat lower giving me more headroom.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Miniac

I still have a great pair of Miata seats for sale. Black leather.
Also, what final drive ratio did you end up using ? I have same build going on (have 13" wheels) and was curious.  What an awesome project!
1990 Rover Mini black

bryanp

Sorry for the absence - 2.5 months ago, I resigned from the job I've had for the past 22 years and started a new one, so I've been giving a ton of time to the new endeavor . . .

Thanks, Miniac, for the compliment - I just looked at your MiniacI and MiniacII threads - very nice!!

My FD is 3.44. 

I might be interested in your Miata seats - can you post some detail pics of the rails/brackets in your For Sale thread?  I have the original brackets as well as the MiniSport extended brackets (MONSAB1), but I can't tell from your pics how they would work w/ the Mini brackets. 

bryanp

It doesn't feel right not posting a pic or two:
Took the Mini down to my dad's house in Santa Fe - first pic in his driveway - my two sons, 15 and 17, both 6'-2", and the Admiral checking out the supercharger.   The 15 year old is Mr. tae kwon do, so he's flexible - we fold him up and stick him in the back seat sideways . . . 

94touring

bryanp

Well, folks - it has been awhile, but I have finished up an assortment of loose ends on the blue Mini and intend to list it w/ BaT next week.  It is a total blast to drive, but I need the Mini $$ to finance some work on my E-Type - plus my dad needs his garage space back, so the E-Type needs to come up the hill to my place; I am out of space! 

I understand there is a several week lag time to a BaT auction commencing once you've submitted a car.  Does anyone else have experience w/ selling a car on BaT?

Here is a short driving vid - I'll stick it on youtube  when I submit my ad.

MiniDave

I think we need to move our Texas trip to your neck of the woods!  77.gif

My grandson sold his Honda Beat on BaT, said it was a fairly painless experience.....

But getting it listed might be the issue....it's really hit or miss whether they'll list it...... give them a good story and you'll have a better chance.

That said, I think they'll take yours, it has enough cool different stuff on it to make it interesting.

What camera were you using in your vid? GoPro?

What are you doing to the E-Type? You already did the clutch and front end.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

C'mon up!  I have a "vintage" GoPro - I think I got it in 2009-ish to stick on my Dad's old race car.  The multi-point adjustable mount kept sagging during the vid - I have an entertaining 5-minutes of it looking at the seat bottom . . . .

On the E-type, let's see - I have an exhaust manifold leak at the top of #2 - a little annoying since I just put them back on last year w/ fresh gaskets.  So I bought the boy-racer stainless steel headers since I have to remove the manifolds anyway (I understand they're pretty transformative and sound great) - I also bottomed out on a speed bump somewhere which shoved the whole exhaust system back about an inch, so I need to adjust all those hangers while I'm at it.  I'm not going to drop the whole IRS carrier for now, but will replace the four springs/shocks back there since I'm pretty sure they're original - with GAZ adjustables.  I got a set of the D-type alloy wheels which will stand up to my crappy road better than the wires (which have seen better days).

That's what I've heard about BaT as well - I am hopeful they will take a modded-up classic Mini.

MiniDave

Well, that should make some good noises!

I could tell it was a GoPro, their mountings suck....and they make all kinds of noise in the videos.

It was fun hearing you go into 5th, I wonder if anyone watching vids on BaT will notice?

Did you change the seat in the Mini?

And what does Ramirez mean to you?

They may not let you set the reserve where you want it, that happened to Stan when he sold his Mini on BaT.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

I did not change out the seats - the next lucky owner can do that if he/she wants . . . .

I did not realize that BaT can ding your reserve??!?
It's a convoluted story, but "Ramirez" is the Sean Connery character in a 1980's sci-fi movie called "Highlander" - an inside joke w/ my boys whom I let name the car . . .

MiniDave

Yeah, they reserve the right to set the reserve!   ::) 8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Yes, of course you can decline to list it if you don't agree with their reserve choice.....don't see a lot of Subies on BaT so it might be a good choice for them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

Gentlemen - my BaT auction has gone live!  Thank you for all of your help/guidance throughout my build!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-mini-mk-iii/

BruceK

Quote from: bryanp on June 08, 2020, 07:41:53 PM
Gentlemen - my BaT auction has gone live!  Thank you for all of your help/guidance throughout my build!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-mini-mk-iii/

Good luck with the auction!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara