Introduction - '74 Mini 1000, Blue Thunder in NM

Started by bryanp, May 12, 2016, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Vikram

Thank you for the pictures, it looks really good! I might use this as inspiration.

If I'm not wrong this is v1 of the pedal box? I think theres a newer version out. Ive heard that v1 is flexy on the firewall and you've more than fixed that issue! I wonder if v2 fixes this...

bryanp

Thanks all!
Vikram - I did not know about a v1 versus v2 on the OBP pedal box.  I don't think the problem is so much w/ the OBP product itself as it is w/ the methodology OBP promotes (complete w/ printed instructions w/ pics) for installing - hanging the pedals/box frame/cylinders from the flimsy dash tray.  I bought my assembly from them over two years ago, so it is very possible they have (hopefully) changed their recommended installation.  I'll look on their website this weekend.

Dave - I managed to sneak in a new clutch in the E-type so I at least have one car that drives.

I had the magnaflow headers ceramic coated to try to keep the heat down since the supercharger sits just above them. Even so, I think it will be a good idea to fabricate a heat shield to go under the Weber.  This pic is looking at the underside of the supercharger and its Weber - maybe two inches or so from where the center and right headers would be.  The intake manifold is wrapped. 

MiniDave

Managed to sneak a clutch in? Ha! New clutch is an engine out job on an Etype...no sneaking there!  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

actually lifted the car off the engine/tran. . . .  blasted/powder-coated the front suspension and re-built the front suspension while we were at it .. .

MiniDave

Having a lift makes all the difference!

I drop mine down onto my creeper, then lift the front end high enough and roll it right out.....Powder coat existed when I did mine, but I didn't know about it then or I would have done the same - looks great!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

the ride difference is UNBELIEVABLE.  The IRS is next year . .. .
The best part of the kitchen renovation was getting the old oven out into the garage for powder coating - I can do some pretty big stuff now . . .

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

The way your weber is mounted could you put a longer intlet manifold on? It gives a much better torque curve, ive heard but then again you have a supercharger!

Would you mind sharing your jet sizes?

bryanp

The Weber is a 40DCOE.  I'll have to check the jet sizes.  I am pretty sure a call w/ Mike Pierce is in my future since I live at 7,600' elevation and will likely be running super rich w/ the stock set-up.  But I won't know until I check!  There isn't a lot of latitude for moving the supercharger around; the gentleman in the UK from whom I bought the engine and supercharger fabricates the intake manifold specifically for fitting the unit in the classic Mini engine bay.

Vikram

I've done some research into it, and I too would like to go down the eaton supercharger path.

Are you using a decompression plate between the head head and block or have you enlarged the ports in the head to drop CR?

Any more progress on your build?

MiniDave

I would do a turbo rather than a supercharger.....lots of reasons, but mostly performance and simplicity. The supercharger is easy cause a guy makes a kit where I think you'd have to either find a Metro turbo kit and adapt it or make your own. But the Supercharger will only get a stock 1275 to about 85 hp, we got more than that out of Dan's engine just by doing the build right, with the proper head, cam, exhaust and carburetion.

The main advantage of a turbo or supercharger is at altitude, that's where they really shine compared to stock. A supercharger is less effective at altitude, especially at lower RPMs.....but you can buy a kit with all the parts made for a Mini so there's that.

One small nit Vikram, you don't change the ports, you enlarge the combustion chambers.....that's what adding the plate does.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Sorry Dave, I did mean to say that combustion chambers!

How about this for a counter argument. The Vmax kit, like Bryan has puts down 105 bhp (is that 80ish to wheels?) on a stock 1275 with weber 40s, according to the vmax site. Easily more with a modified head that can take more boost. So lots more power to gain.

Although its parasitic, it won't lag like a turbo, although I've heard the new tiny garretts are very good. No need to mod the bulkhead either with a supercharger.... Easily returned to stock. Your Altitude point is fair.

Dan does have a fantastic build, but bang for buck surely forced induction beats it? That calver head alone is big money....! Not knocking it, its expensive for a reason

MiniDave

The Calver head was £600, Supercharge kit is what £1800? Plus you have to pay someone to install it? Which includes pulling the head the install the spacer plate?

They both have their merits - they say superchargers have no lag but at altitude they sure do. At dead sea level not as much but there is still lag waiting for the boost to build.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

Sorry for the radio silence, but I had my second cataract surgery last week and have been trying to limit my "screen" time.

If I am reading my discussions w/ Stuart Gurr (the vmaxcart guy) correctly, he did not make my engine w/ a decompression plate.  He bored the cylinders to 40 over (for 1312 displacement) to take Omega's dished 18cc forged pistons such that the compression should be low enough w/out using a decompression plate.  I need to search further thru our correspondence for the actual compression ratio. The head description is a large port unleaded 35.7x31 race valved head with 23 cc chamber, sw5 type cam in 112 lobe centers, oil squirters for piston cooling.  The engine will be dyno-d in Denver in the next month or so, and I will share those results here.

At almost a mile and a half above sea level, I guess I will be the guinea pig for the altitude/low-end torque question . . .

A little progress lately - a fully operating windshield washer system now w/ older-school reservoir, and I got the replacement bonnet painted to match the Ford grabber blue.

MiniDave

I'm really excited to see this running!

Are you going to Snowmass this summer for Mini Meet East Meets West?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

Hmmm - I live in a bubble - did not know about it.  But I really have no excuse to miss it - Breckenridge is about a five hour drive from Santa Fe, Snowmass/Aspen must be about the same - very picturesque, right up 285 until the last hour.  Let me coordinate w/ my wife to see if the calendar is clear - we might even tempt fate and drive the E-type up as well; what could go wrong taking two 50 year-old British cars on a road trip??  20.gif

MiniDave

If you make it I want a ride in the Mini!  4.gif

Here's the thread....  http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=1721.0

Whatever you do don't take 17 out of Alamosa - one of the roughest roads I've ever been on!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

I look forward to this too! Sounds like a well specced engine

bryanp

Well, it looks like I will be there, barring some unforeseen issue.  I'll get signed up - hopefully there is still room as the Westin - although my wife wouldn't be too upset staying in Aspen . . . .   I see that Independence Pass is over 12,000 feet!  Should be interesting.  And, yes, you all are invited to take it for a spin!  Just be gentle w/ my 5-speed box!

MiniDave

You have to call the hotel, they had plenty of rooms when I booked in.....see you in June!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bryanp

Update time.  I drove it for the first time yesterday afternoon, just before it started snowing again (I don't think this winter will ever end).  I love it - it's just a night-day difference from the 998cc w/ really tired suspension and brakes - no really a fair comparison since it's basically a new car now.   It's fast and has great pull in all gears, including the new fifth gear.  I didn't take it on the highway, but was on an open enough road to get it to 65 (checked w/ GPS as well) in 5th - I think I saw about 3100-3200rpm at that moment, but will be more scientific about it when I can get it on a highway.    Fitting the new bonnet is next, along w/ new headliner, new dome light, visors and a few other odd bits.     Enjoy.

Willie_B

MiniDave

Looks Fab! gonna be ready in time for Aspen?

I love the Mini Special emblem!

We had snow this morning in KC too, didn't stick thankfully!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Yes, Don (Pup) and I are both in at the hotel. We called weeks ago and got our reservations.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad