Author Topic: Introduction - '74 Mini 1000, Blue Thunder in NM  (Read 10541 times)

Offline bryanp

Re: Introduction - '74 Mini 1000, Blue Thunder in NM
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »
ok, so I made a little more progress.  I had fabricated a plate that sits on top of the sheet metal "tray" that goes between the firewall and the partial tube section that is the front rail of the dash.  Holy cow, I can't describe what a PITA it was to get three sets of holes aligned/drilled in the plate, the tray and the top of the OBP pedal box.  Finally got it to work (God bless the Dremel) and hung the pedal box about 1.5" below the plate/tray. 

I was also able to source an extended, adjustable steering column lowering bracket from Swiftune in the UK.  Unlike the gorgeous billet bracket from DSN Classics, this one angles away from the bottom of the rail, so the fouling problem I had w/ the middle master cylinder in the pedal box is now solved. 

Another glitch was that my original set of holes in the plate and tray ended up placing the brake pedal in the way of the steering column by about 1/16.  With a lot of filing to get the pedal box more to the right, and skootching the bracket to the left, I now have 0.5" between the column and the brake pedal at its closest point (the column angles towards the centerline of the car).

I set the driver's seat in the car and sat in it, just to make sure all the geometries had all finally worked out.  I think I can say that the car is officially LHD . . . .   I will still be a somewhat splayed-knees driver, but that's life in a Mini.  I am feeling pretty energized now.  I will mount the 3-reservoir plinth in the engine bay and use some tubing to mock up the six lengths of stainless steel woven master cylinder hoses I need to have fabricated.  I will remove the pedal box and mount up the other two cylinders and bias bar.      Then back under the dash to work on mounting the pint-sized heater from MiniMania . . . . another transition plate in my near future.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »
Very cool, progress........

You mentioned fuel pressure, those webers are very sensitive to fuel pressure - 2 - 2.5psi is all they want. I like the regulator with the filter built in - who makes that?
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline bryanp

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »
the mfg is Malpassi Filter King.  The gauge is an add-on; you have to pick one where the filter body has been drilled/threaded for the gauge.  I'll go thru my file tonight to see who I bought it from.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »
I found them, seem to be UK based. Spendy too......

Thanks for the info!
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline bryanp

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
Definitely spendy, but the guy who provided the supercharger uses it on his motors for dialing-in the psi.