Paint scheme question

Started by Hercplt, May 10, 2016, 10:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hercplt

Decided to start a different paint thread.

My Mini is currently BRG (not sure which exactly).  In the "taking apart" process, it looks more and more likely that I'm into a whole shell refresh scenario. 

I'm interested in the look of matching the BRG with a black roof, but I can't seem to find many photos online of any examples of this combination.  Does anyone have any to share??  I'd like to see some to get the idea of whether this would look cool or not...  I'm thinking a darker version of BRG, Black roof.  Classic/ Retro styling rather than modern stylings...

Thanks all!  77.gif

Rich
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

MiniDave

My friend's 2006 JCW is this combination - I think it looks OK, but as the roof is only somewhat darker than the green paint, it's not very noticeable.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I remember seeing several older (mid '60's) classic Minis in that color scheme.  I think it was even one of the factory Cooper-S color schemes.  They did not use the metalic BRG of the later Minis.

As MiniDave says, be careful about how dark the BRG is or the difference becomes barely noticeable.  You would probably want a shade or two darker than the green on my former Van (it is more a Brooklands Green then BRG), but not too much darker:

Hercplt

Car is currently a similar green to that one...  My Dad has a '67 MGB just painted, and I like the darker BRG better.  I think I rather like the idea that the black roof doesn't stand out like the most of them...
Here's are the colours... (My Mini and the MG)

If anyone has some pics of the BRG/Black combo... I'd appreciate it!!

Rich
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

MtyMous

If you can post some photos of your car, I can photoshop a black roof on it in the next couple of days.

Hercplt

Top pic above is my Mini... I'll post more....  thanks!

MPlayle

The color of the MGB is exactly what I had in mind by a shade or two darker than the green Van.   4.gif

I remember seeing two different Minis in that color scheme many years ago at different times.  Unfortunately, no pictures.

TJF

Not exactly what you are looking for, but posting just for ideas. I went with a modern Jaguar BRG and painted my roof silver. I figured any one could have a white roof.  There were some cars that had grey roofs back in the day, so I figured it wasn't that far out of line. I would expect a black roof to be a little hotter inside the car in the summer.

MiniDave

I tell you what, I've had my fill of green cars with white roofs (and I own one!), so I'm glad to see the silver on that car - it looks great!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad